MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/07/2011 01:25 PM

Should I inform a possible employer

Lisacomisa
LisacomisaPosts: 903

I need some opinions. Should I infrom a possible employer that I am on disability so I am not making too much money or should I give some other reason why I can not make a certain amount of money?

thanks in adavance for your comments. Smile

11/07/2011 01:32 PM
soy70
soy70  

I would be hesitant to say anything, but it really depends. Some establishments are more accommodating, like academic or health related. It might also depend on the particular person and their own education and life experience. Do you want to share what kind of establishment it is? If it's retail, definitely not, I say.

11/07/2011 01:53 PM
Lisacomisa

Sure I am thinking of working part time in a hair salon. I went to college but most hairstylist are not college educated. I am not sure how accepting they will be. I may say I have depression and gloss over the bipolar part. I am just not sure. I have an interview tomorrow I don't know how to keep my hours down without disclosing it. What do you think? Thanks

11/07/2011 02:13 PM
soy70
soy70  

Yeah, call me a cynic but I think your best bet is saying you can only work such and such hours because a) you're planning on going to school, or b) you have freelance work that you wanted to schedule around your hours. Well, maybe NOT mention a second job. Boy, this is tough! I've worked in research and education and both places knew and were understanding. But I'm currently working in a computer store and I can tell there's no way I could trust these people with such info. You may not have to give a reason actually. You could just say you're only interested in part-time for the time being. I would wait to see what other say here. Good luck!

11/07/2011 02:21 PM
ZadieBlue
ZadieBluePosts: 4547
VIP Member

No. I wouldn't even report diabetes. My suggestion would be to make yourself sound very busy and to be firm about your boundaries.

Zadie

11/07/2011 02:23 PM
Tryingtocare
Tryingtocare  

I would not disclose anything if you can avoid it. Just say you can only work x # of hours and leave it at that. If they push you could just tell them it is personal. I have had nothing but bad outcomes when telling employers what's going on with me.

11/07/2011 03:08 PM
uncertainone

I would not inform a possible employer that it was due to a medical condition. A good answer would be that you can't work more than a set number of hours due to family obligations. ( Everyone has had a family member sick at one time or another who needs care.) Good luck with the new job! Maria

11/07/2011 03:10 PM
Lisacomisa

Thanks so much for the input. Wish me luck!

11/07/2011 04:03 PM
jennywren
jennywrenPosts: 3167

Yeap Good Luck Lisacomisa, and agree with the others here. Do not tell your empolyer or any future one for that matter that you have Bioplar Disorder.

Many reasons why not some are:

1. The lay person is not versed as to how the symptoms of Bipolar Disorder effect us. 2. Due to the media etc. some will have a very poor view of those with Bipolar Disorder.

3. While we may perform at work just as well, if not better than the average employee, anything we do or say can be misinteraped as being a symptom of our Bioplar Disorder. Meaning we get blamed for things "we did not do"

Ah boy and how will we end up with our work mates also know? Good chance they will steer clear of us.

Not a nice picture Sad

Hope that this makes sence.

Jennywren

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved