MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/02/2011 09:05 AM

"Where in the World Is My Pdoc?!?"

ZadieBlue
ZadieBluePosts: 4547
VIP Member

So it's been like a G-rated version of "A Beautiful Mind" around here -- My brain has been sick -- For 2+ weeks my reality testing was 2/3, being mistaken about a number of things, losing some of my memory. I've been in a depressive episode but had no idea how sick I've really been. I didn't know, so my pdoc didn't know. When I came to understand what's been happening, I freaked the f out (as you may have read . . . sorry) and left a message for my pdoc.

Haven't heard from him. I could be psychotic, running through the streets naked yelling about how it's FINALLY November! Or my brain could be bleeding. Or I could have heavy metal poisoning. Okay, I'm being overly dramatic (I'm feeling better today, I even drove my car!) but

I lost my memory, that's serious, and my pdoc isn't returning my call! Maybe he's counting on me forgetting that I called him. Well ha HA.

How long do you wait until you start hounding your pdoc? When does one call a pdoc's "urgent" / "emergency" (beeper) line???

Blink Zadie

11/02/2011 10:39 AM
JustJulie62
JustJulie62Posts: 925

You didn't say how long has passed since you left the message. I would be more assertive and call back...I can email mine and he is always responsive. Don't fret about hounding your doctor - if you feel it is urgent, then it is urgent and you should push to get seen. Hope you feel better....now go call again!

11/02/2011 11:31 AM
ZadieBlue
VIP Member

Yeah, I called yesterday around noon. I always freeze up when calling him because he has 2 numbers: "regular," the one I called, and "urgent" / "emergency" (beeper), which is for when the Flying Monkeys come calling. I feel like such a wimp for being too scared to call the "emergency" line. Maybe I'll call the "regular" one again, then the "emergency" line? What if there's been some kind of brain event??? Okay, "regular" now, "emergency" . . . 2 hours from now?

I've been with my pdoc for 8 years -- during that time he's become a Big Shot, very busy. But smart. Soooooooo annoying. I've been a pretty easy-going patient until a year and a half ago when my symptoms, when they did appear, became dramatically worse (I've just become sick again after a full year of stability -- makes me so sad to think about).

Ok, gonna call 2:30 PM EST.

Zadie

11/02/2011 11:50 AM
redeyedjedi

Id call right now, and again and again if your as sick as it appears you might be, definitely counts as an emergency IMO.Whistling

Oh, mine dont return my calls either.....thinking about camping outside her office.W00t

Post edited by: redeyedjedi, at: 11/02/2011 11:52 AM

11/02/2011 12:03 PM
randomeddie
randomeddie  

I'd keep calling the 'Emergency' line to no end because, well, it IS an emergency. Seriously, don't let up. If he doesn't respond by the end of the day I would go to the ER. This is ridiculous. You can't put your mental well-being on hold because your pdoc decides to be a flake or thinks you're problems aren't as important. You are the one who decides that.

Keep calling.

Eddie

11/02/2011 05:05 PM
ZadieBlue
VIP Member

So ... Experienced amnesia and impaired cognitive functioning, called my pdoc 30 hours ago and the jackrabbit malefactor still hasn't called back despite my follow-up calls on his "urgent" line. I could be dead and bleeding from my eyeballs by now. After 8 years I'm going to yell at him, fire him or both. He's associated with an elite Ivy League Med School, so I'm supposed to put up with this?!?

It would cost me $200+ just to step foot in the ER. I'm trying to avoid this (and to avoid getting locked up in this one particular hospital's dumpy, dirty, urine-stained psych floor), so I've been researching on my iPhone. That's what I do when I'm worried -- I research until I'm exhausted. So it's quite likely the neurons in my Limbic System (responsible for emotion and memory) and my hippocampus are dying off far too quickly, far too early. Depression and anxiety do in fact cause amnesia. I'm 35 (soon to be 36), and I probably have about 15 good years left. I'm thrilled, because I've totally wasted the last 10.

Or I could have a brain infection, bleeding in the brain, seizures, or a tumor. Or I could have some form of DID, or I may have be experiencing a very spooky form of psychosis. All of this could be very serious. Does my pdoc care??? NOPE!

I want OFF MY MEDS.

LOL I told my mother about my memory problems.

Her response: "Did you tell your therapist about how much you've been eating lately?"

That is soooooooo . . . Mom. Who needs a working brain when you're thin?!?

La la laaaaaaaa . . . Whatever. I'm past the anxious stage and now I am calm and very little could shock me at this point.

PS: I'm no longer watching Oprah's "Life Lessons" -- I get to feeling guilty and lazy. Oprah is now an official trigger.

Z

11/02/2011 09:16 PM
uncertainone

Hi Zadie,

Have you tried NAC ( N-Acetylcysteine) for the memory problems? I know that they give it to alzheimer's patients

along with folate to help with memory.

http://www.cerefolinnac.com/PackageInsert[/url]

Its also supposed to help with depression in bipolar.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21719110[/url]

I know you said that you were dubious about some of the studies, but it like under $10 for a bottle, why not try it and see if it helps for a month???

I know that for me when my bipolar symptoms are at their worst my memory can get slightly foggy and I need to be prompted about something that happened. Also I go to work and ask people is today Wednesday?? I think when you work a lot the days just blend into each other. Don't freak out about this memory issue too much. I bet it will clear up as soon as your symptoms lessen. Remember think positive. You will get better!!

Good luck, Maria

11/02/2011 09:38 PM
Yrollam
YrollamPosts: 2476

I can't believe he hasn't called you back. Considering how serious your symptoms are is there another hospital you can go to a bit farther away that doesn't have a dumpy, dirty, urine-stained psych floor?

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved