MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/20/2011 07:53 AM

That feeling in the pit of your stomach

soy70
soy70  

What exactly is it?? I mean it's caused by stress but what is physically happening? I've had it for 24 hours, even when I'm not thinking about my collossol failure at work yesterday, although it is on my mind 90% of the time.

But what is physically causing it? I know the tightness in my chest is from my heart, is it seeping down to my stomach? What else can dreadful thoughts do physically, increase gastric juices? haha

10/20/2011 08:01 AM
sparklehorse

I have often wondered why emotional and mental distress feels or is so physical. Like, yeah, why does my stomach hurt. Muscle tension in the diaphragm?

Hopefully you'll be feeling better very soon Smile

10/20/2011 08:09 AM
soy70
soy70  

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense! I never thought about muscle tension. I'll be fine, one thing we know, our moods never stay the same. Smile

10/20/2011 09:46 AM
JustJulie62
JustJulie62Posts: 925

Stress causes a myriad of physical problems...not just for people suffering from BP or other mental health conditions. Muscle aches, low energy, insomnia, chest pain, knot in belly, headache....the list goes on. Hope you feel better.

10/20/2011 09:59 AM
soy70
soy70  

Thank you. My doctor said to take an extra latuda and I actually already feel better. It's definitely stress but I stopped the physical symptom and that broke the cycle.

10/20/2011 02:23 PM
2ofme
2ofme  
VIP Member

Breath deep and slow ..... then let it go .... ALL OF IT. The knot, the stress, the worry ..... all of it.

10/20/2011 02:35 PM
Edyn
Edyn  

does that really work for you? that whole deep breath let it go thing? I'm not being mean or judgemental about this, and I appologise if I'm coming across that way. It's just I've never found it helps me out. True the breathe part works but only because under stress I tend to hold my breath unintentionally, but the let it go thing? How do you get that to work. Do I need special tokens or something?

10/20/2011 04:07 PM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

It seems to me that people under stress restrict their breathing in some way. I do. Lack of oxygen to the brain is not good. So the main thing that those "breathe-in-breathe-out-let-it-go" exercises accomplish for me is to increase oxygen to the brain, thereby subtly altering perception. But it took me years of practice to be able to do them right.

10/21/2011 11:00 AM
JustJulie62
JustJulie62Posts: 925

Edyn, yes, it does take practice. Like you I would get really pissed or upset and didn't even realize I was holding my breath...then POW-I would respond without thinking. Take deep breaths and releasing them helps me to release some of the anger I feel mounting, and buys me a few seconds to calm down before responding.

Sarahtroy also partakes in the breathing exercises, but again, it does take practice.

Say you are in a confrontational situation - taking deep breaths and NOT talking, or saying "give me a minute to process what you are saying" tends to lessen the aggression in the other person, and both people seem to calm down as a result of "our" action, not theirs. Silence can be a powerful tool.

In meditation for beginners they teach you to just find a quiet place to sit comfortably, shut your eyes and start breathing in and out, focusing only on your breathing...count them if you need to - this focus helps to clear your mind (at least temporarily) so you can get to a relaxed state. I am a newbie at it...but some of my friends who are masters and have been doing it for years claim they have experienced Nirvana while meditating...a deep sense of fulfillment, almost feeling high.

I guess I should go do this!Smile

10/22/2011 07:54 AM
Volante
Volante  

The feeling in your stomach may be a form of anxiety. When I have high anxiety I take and ativan and it magically disappears. Ativan is a miracle drugs. Ive had several forms of anxiety and it alwasy cures it. Hope you try it.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved