MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/19/2011 08:29 PM

Caffeine & Hallucinations

TrixaLady
TrixaLady  

About 3 weeks ago I stopped consuming caffeinated products. I have felt so much better. I am no longer fatigued, moody, jittery, anxious and I no longer get headaches. I didn't realize how much of a slave I was to caffeine until I stopped using it. I find it intriguing that, according to Science Daily, the consumption of large amounts of caffeine can produce/enhance auditory hallucinations.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/ 090113203901.htm

10/19/2011 08:31 PM
TrixaLady
TrixaLady  

I still have problems with my moods, but the caffeine exacerbated the problem.

Post edited by: TrixaLady, at: 10/19/2011 08:32 PM

10/19/2011 08:35 PM
bfly
bfly  
VIP Member

If that's the case... that explains a hell of a lot! Glad you had the willpower to quit- good for you!

10/19/2011 08:42 PM
mtadkins5
mtadkins5  

Very interesting!

10/20/2011 03:03 AM
2ofme
2ofme  
VIP Member

Caffeine and nicotine are what I live on! I think I would die! Auuuuuuuugh No ... but seriously, I have never had caffeine affect me to the point of hallucinations, but jitters and anxiousness, yes. It was also determined to be the root of my RLS so none after dinner as I had done for years and years in the past.

10/20/2011 05:45 AM
JennyT

Anything in extreme doses can cause extreme effects. When it comes to the "jitters" and other similar side effects, everyone is different.

10/20/2011 05:55 AM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

The only thing is does besides help me get going in the morning is give me shaky hands if I drink too much. But I don't drink anything with caffeine after 2:00 to make sure it doesn't interfere with sleep. I drink three or more mugfuls in the morning. I love my coffee!

10/20/2011 06:06 AM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

This is good news TrixaLady, you feel overall better. I drink 2 cups in the morning, like uppity it helps me wake up. If i drink more i get the shakes and feel anxious.

My pdoc wants me to stop all caffine but i refuse to, it doesn't interfere with my life now, i do not suffer extreme anxiety, but when my anxiety does act up i drink 1/2 decaf coffee 1/2 regular. I hear the withdrawl to come off of coffee is not good, headaches but all this passess like any other drug withdrawl.

10/20/2011 06:36 AM
ZadieBlue
ZadieBluePosts: 4547
VIP Member

I tried and successfully got off caffeine for a while due to surgery complications, but soon I found myself buying a D&D iced coffee in the middle of the day as I'd become unusually tired during this time. Now I've moved on to adding a "Turbo Shot" to the coffee, and I ask for little ice. So much for giving up coffee! But I am ultimately drinking much less coffee / caffeine than before.

I officially quit smoking about 3 years ago after about 15 years. Since then, if I get really really upset and go into my "F-IT mode," I'll pick up a pack of cigarettes. It's happened 4x I think and can last anywhere from one pack to an entire carton or more. I'm very asthmatic, so technically it's a form of self-harm (but then, when isn't smoking a form of self-harm?!?). A couple weeks ago I broke -- bought a pack, smoked a few ciggies, then told my tdoc during session. She offered, so I handed them over to her. She got up and threw them out right then and there, and did a good job throwing them away cuz YES, of course I searched the bathroom trash after session! I felt like I was 13 years old!!!

Dear oh dear . . . . Z

10/20/2011 12:17 PM
barelymanic
barelymanic  
VIP Member

Wow, this kind of makes me think i am a bit weird. Caffeine in the afternoon makes me hypomanic, which has both it's good and bad points.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved