MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/18/2011 03:19 PM

Whats the most frustrating thing about being bipol

newton89

For me, it's all my side effects from my meds. Sleep problems, weight gain, difficulty concentrating...What are yours?

10/18/2011 03:32 PM
bfly
bfly  
VIP Member

The look that some people give me when they find out I have bipolar disorder... it can be a look of horror, a look of pitty... even when it's a look of genuine sympathy it's painful to see... sometimes I swear it's like I have a third eye! I can think of many negatives, but I can also think of some positives- like my creativity and intelligence, my empathy and compassion... it ain't all bad! Good thread to start!

10/18/2011 03:49 PM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

That I'm a shell of who I used to be before my breakdown. Still after several years. The profound lack of motivation.

10/18/2011 03:49 PM
sumanic
sumanic  

for me it is having my meds tweeked so often, the side effects, and I agree with bfly. That look is terrible, I have had people say I am not bipolar, others ask does that mean your crazy and still others that sympthany look. And those are family members. I also agree on the good qualities.

10/18/2011 04:51 PM
ZadieBlue
ZadieBluePosts: 4583
VIP Member

Having it cause symptoms while simultaneously being told that I can't use Bipolar D/O as an "excuse". What does this really mean???

Also, confusing: My pdoc has 2 phone lines with voice mail -- one regular one, and one for "urgent" matters or emergencies. I never know which line to call!!! Wish there was a medium / intermediate line . . . .

Z

10/18/2011 05:06 PM
youngfilly
youngfilly  
VIP Member

loss of cognitive ability. Used to have a great memory but now I struggle to remember anything that happened more than 1/2 hr ago

10/18/2011 05:09 PM
sparklehorse

Two things: feeling fragile and concerned about what will set me off. Hyper-vigilant.

The second what YorkieLove said. I have't recovered from a major episode and it's been some years Sad

Can I say three? Having to take meds.

Then, I am grateful to have meds. My older relatives had nothing but lithium. If that. And they certainly didn't have a neighborhood psychiatrist. It was locked wards or out. Nothing else.

Ermm

Post edited by: sparklehorse, at: 10/18/2011 05:10 PM

10/18/2011 05:24 PM
platelet60
platelet60  

"Retrospective falsification" is the most frustrating.thing to.me. I have no accurate emotional memory, whatever emotion I happen to be experiencing now feels like the emotion I've been living in forever, and will continue to live in forever into the future. That's how it feels. Which can.be extraordinarily dangerous while depressed -- there's no hope of anything ever changing, because it *feels* unchanging, on an.intuitive level.

The very organ you need to properly evaluate and protect against your sickness, is the same organ that is affected by your sickness.

10/18/2011 06:49 PM
JustJulie62
JustJulie62Posts: 925

Lack of concentration, and motivation, although I am trying to get that back..the motivation

10/18/2011 06:53 PM
WastedSpace

I will forget what I was going to say within minutes.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved