MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/04/2011 10:28 AM

New to this Site

kcipher797
kcipher797  

Hello All! I was doing a search the other night on "married to or dating a bipolar woman" and this site kept popping up and the members were really friendly and giving great advice. So I thought why not join? I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder for about three and a half years now. I was not officially tested till the spring of this year and it was confirmed. I also found out after testing that I have an underlying personality disorder as well - melancholic depressive personality disorder. Any how, I haven't had much success with treatment and saw a new psychologist last week and she seems very promising and willing to work with me. I do not currently have a psychiatrist and the new psychologist recommended one to me but as I called today to make an appointment I learned that I won't be able to see him till October 31st unless someone cancels and i get filled in. I'm worried because I have been off of all mood stabilizers/antidepressants since May. I've only been taking an occasional anti-anxiety. I had a really bad experience with two different meds at the beginning of this year and became a little shell-shocked so to speak. I made the decision to not be on any meds with my boyfriend/exboyfriend (it's a little complicated currently) heavily encouraging me. But now I know that I have to stay on something continuously. The trial and error of finding a med that works is frustrating but I know that I need to do it. I have been experiencing mixed episodes of mania and depression. I moved out of the apartment that my boyfriend and I shared due to my illness in its current state. I've lashed out at him several times which only made the relationship worse. He'd also lash out at me in frustration which made me worse. I've even freaked out on my family which has never really happened. I'm hopeful today but I just need any advice or pearls of wisdom that you can give. Thanks!

10/04/2011 10:37 AM
scrubsgirl
scrubsgirl  

welcome to the site. i'm bipolar manic depressive which is the same thing. but i've been put thru the guinea pig stages of medications and finally on a good medication regiment.

10/04/2011 10:43 AM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hello and welcome this is a very supportive group i'm glad you've found us. Sorry to hear you been experiencing bipolar symptoms and i guess being off meds since May you are bound to experience this sort of thing having bipolar. I'm glad to hear you see a psychologist (tdoc t for therapist) and have an apt. for Oct.31 to see a psychiatrist (pdoc). Bipolar can be treatable and people can live fairly normal lives. I wish you all the best with your new pdoc and going on new meds.

10/04/2011 10:44 AM
JustJulie62
JustJulie62Posts: 925

Welcome to the site. Many people on here have had to adjust or change their meds to find what works best. I would encourage you to read a lot of posts too, where you will find information you didn't even know you were looking for.

10/04/2011 10:54 AM
stevesayshi
stevesayshi  

Hello and welcome to the group. I went for a year without being medicated. I'm on my second week of triliptal. Being unmedicated can be tough at times, but I managed. Just hang in thereand remeber that you don't have to listen to all those thoughts and just recognizing them can really help.Best of luck to you.

10/04/2011 12:55 PM
mem2427

Welcome. Sounds like you are on your way to getting help. I know it is hard to find the right meds, but when you it is so worth all of the struggle you had to go through. Keep on posting and let us know how you are doing.

10/04/2011 01:22 PM
Migru
Migru  

Welcome to the group! Sorry to hear about all your struggles. Let me echo what has already been said. Management is your golden ring. To get there, you might have to go through a slew of med changes. And even then, as your symptoms change, the doctor may adjust your meds as you go along.

Do stay with us and read past and present posts. You'll find good advice and personal testimonies that can help greatly. Get some friends and chat every once in a while. That helps me immensely.

10/04/2011 01:35 PM
cptblack
cptblack  
VIP Member

I went thru years of med adjustments until I finally got on the right mix. I think isolating yourself somewhat at this time might be the best option as you get onto a good mix of meds. But don't shut the lines of communication as you don't want that either. I hope you keep posting and find this place as helpful and friendly as I did.

10/04/2011 02:10 PM
Catbaloo
CatbalooPosts: 6829
Group Leader

It took a lot of trail and error, but I finally got on the right combo of meds for me. Hang in there and keep posting. We're all in this together. Smile

10/04/2011 08:29 PM
kcipher797
kcipher797  

Thank you all for welcoming me. I know that I need to get better and worry about just me right now but I'm having trouble with that. I didn't want to move out. It was pretty impulsive but at the same time I've just felt so hurt with how our relationship was going. We weren't treating the bipolar disorder though. He has been trying to speak to me but has really been speaking to the BP. I don't know if he realizes that. I keep moving from hopeful to really sad to hopeful and sad again. What can I do?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved