MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/03/2011 10:37 PM

Do they really understand?

Edyn
Edyn  

I'm talking pdocs and tdocs here. Do they really understand what we go through? Does anyone else feel like they have to convince their doc that they really are feeling the emotions 'all over the map' Especially when that doc is looking at you in disbelief. Am I supposed to suppress the feelings I've been having. Tell my doc that everything is just 'peachy' and smile like nothing is wrong. Isn't suppressing what I feel what really caused my issues to start with? That's part of the reason I comment without thinking and refuse to edit. It's the thought that hits my heart first. And I usually agree with it. How come I have no problem with expressing myself here. No problem with you judging me. But the only words that find my lips at the docs is OK. I'm OK. And when challenged on what OK means, burst into tears. I'm not OK. I know this. I need help. So tell me. How do I make my docs understand that what I'm feeling is real. So real it's making me sick.

10/03/2011 10:51 PM
youngfilly
youngfilly  
VIP Member

I think it has a lot to do with the Pdoc personally. I had one that really did get it and he really did understand but I think that had a great deal to do with his personality and the amount of study and research he has done and probably the volume of patients he sees. He told me to not let a GP control medication because of their lack of experience.

My new Tdoc, I think he had learnt more through life experience rather than study as he had done many things before studying to be a psychologist and he did that late in life but once you hear his story and what he has been through you can tell he knows what he is talking about. though he had to research BP a little when I came along.

10/04/2011 06:06 AM
scrubsgirl
scrubsgirl  

my therapist keeps asking the same question over and over again. it gets very upsetting that we can't talk about something else that might be bothering you.

10/04/2011 08:33 AM
hunkydorie
hunkydorie  

Hi Edyn,

Personally, regarding my NP....I don't think she really understood me needless to say my illness. She was all about pills, try this, try this, try this. When I was having the heavy anxiety it was like "I don't think you need the ativan." Don't get me wrong, she was nice and everything, but she always appeared to have this blank stare on her face. I don't know if it is from burn out or what. Never quite seen that before. I think there r some pdocs and therapists out there that do have a listening and understanding heart with a cushing of compassion. We are really their teachers, kind of strange I think, but in a good way we thru our words can express how we r being affected by this illness and what our symptoms may be. And, thru us, they learn. These I think compile a good pdoc and therapist. I am only guessing, but I wonder if you're saying, "I'm okay" is because you may feel like...why bother....they don't get it and never will. Is that possible? Maybe you feel like your pdoc/tdoc doesn't validate your thoughts and ideas. Or, as with myself, with this NP I just became complacent because no matter how hard I tried to get it thru her head that I was in a bad place and symptomactic, she just down played it like I was a child. I started to think that, "hey, maybe I don't have it right." I was beginning to doubt my ability to advocate for myself. When I realized this was happening, this is when I told her flat out that I wanted to see this pdoc that my therapist had recommended and I was going to see him and that was that. Now, I've seen him for only one visit as of now, but he is super. I've mentioned this in other postings so I won't go on and on about this. Do you need a new doc, do you need to make changes....just a thought. What you have to say is important and if you feel you r not being listened to, if that's the case...let them know or move on with somebody else. That's just my take on this and only my personal opinion. In ending, here you can share with others whom you know have a common bond and that's this illness. We don't have to see you in person to relate or understand what your experiencing or how you're feeling. We r just all here to share, to grow, to try and make sense out of things in our lives through hearing others stories and those we can relate to. It is easier to post and by golly, it's free and we get some really good feedback the majority of the time. I think that the tables should be turned at times and that we get paid the hourly rate. LOL

10/04/2011 09:01 AM
Catbaloo
CatbalooPosts: 6828
Group Leader

It definitely sounds like you are having a hard time communicating with your doctor. Is it just this one or has it been like that with other doctors as well?

If it's just your current doc, maybe you need to think about finding a new doc, someone that you would feel more comfortable with. I know that I would have a very difficult time with a doc that I felt was looking at me in disbelief. How can you work with someone who doesn't believe what you are saying? It must be very frustrating.

10/04/2011 10:42 AM
JustJulie62
JustJulie62Posts: 925

When I asked specific Q's to my Pdoc (including medications that might help), he told me to ask YOU, the support group! I changed doctors. Not all are created equally.

10/04/2011 10:57 AM
Edyn
Edyn  

This is the new doc. But it was an in general question. The old doc was worse. The jury is still out on the new doc. But if I had to make quick judgement, he'd be on my list. I'm giving it time. That is what I'm supposed to do right? At least he questions the OK. My old doc never did. Took it as a good thing and ignored my list of concerns. Which is what sent me manic and psycotic. Have yet to recover from that episode.

And my therapist? If I could record him and stick him in a show full of chimps, he would fit in so well it would be hard to distinguish between him and them. He's on my lists. He never seems to validate my emotions and feelings. It's all in my head. I can apparently control the whole thing with positive thinking. Blah blah blah, and I'm sitting there thinking how easy it would be to dispose of him because I can't imagine that there would be that many people who whould miss him in the long run. He's just one of THOSE people. Fillers in the whole life game. Extras, if need be. And that's all I have to say about that.

10/04/2011 11:24 AM
Migru
Migru  

Here I am more honest. To be honest, when I see the p/doc I dumb it down a little. Honestly, I don't want any more meds. I'm tired of it all. Seeing the med bottles only reminds me that there is something wrong with me. I dole out advice to people of what I think is right and what should be done. But me personally. I'm tired of the bull. I'm tired of the label. I'm tired of the therapy. I just want to be left alone and live my life. Right now I've got the shakes. I don't want the shakes. I feel like people are looking at me funny. I'm tired of the blurry vision from Trilafon. I'm just tired.

10/04/2011 02:14 PM
Catbaloo
CatbalooPosts: 6828
Group Leader

@ Edyn - I'd be thinking those same thoughts if someone told me I could control my bipolar disorder with positive thinking. Sheesh. Talk about not helpful!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved