MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/03/2011 12:06 PM

Author/Doctor Bringing Awareness to Mental Illness

JustJulie62
JustJulie62Posts: 925

Going to a reading next week being held at a local bookstore by the author Mark Vonnegut, who also is a pediatrician in Quincy, MA. The book's title is "Just Like Someone Without Mental Illness Only More So"...even though my budget is tight, I will no doubt empty my piggy bank to buy his book after reading the review/article about him/the book.

It is exciting and encouraging to me, as an aspiring writer, to read about an accomplished medical professional discussing his own illness and bringing light to the fact that mental illness healthcare system hasn't really evolved much in the past 30 years.

If I write about my own experience then "everyone will know and judge me"...course I was brought up in a family where I was repeatedly told "don't air your dirty laundry in public"...it's scary, but if we don't speak up and out about it, how will anything change?

Anyone who is willing to stand up publicly to help people who suffer from any type of mental illness, is a hero in my eyes.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved