MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/02/2011 08:09 PM

Looking for Work

Migru
Migru  

Ok, so I'm trying to go for disability. They say I can work upto $1000 a month. Great. I've tried retail, but they require you to work holidays when I can see my sons (my sons live with my wife in another state). I'm going to try a temp agency tomorrow, but I'm doubtful since they usually do full-time contract or temp-to-perm. AAAAAAAHHHHHH! I need help. Anybody else have any suggestions?Sad

10/03/2011 12:03 PM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I wish you all the best in looking for work, sorry i don't have suggestions for you, maybe others do?

10/03/2011 12:10 PM
scrubsgirl
scrubsgirl  

what about looking for groups for reemployment they support you and what not. that is what i'm going to do on tueday. does your state have unemployment maybe they can help you with some groups i know in ct they have ct job works which has seminars and job develepors.

10/03/2011 01:08 PM
JustJulie62
JustJulie62Posts: 925

Do you have any skills from your past work history that you could perhaps translate into self employment? I would also recommend trying Craigslist...look in the P/T and et cetera job section, you might be surprised at the types of p/t jobs, other than retail, that people are hiring for...small businesses are also hurting in this economy so they need people willing to work fewer hours. Look into product demo companies in your area...they quite often need people to do sampling in a retail environment...like the food samplers at Costco. In my part of the country that pay around $15 per hour, but usually require weekends.

If you are good with animals you might try those doggie day care places. They always seem to be advertising for p/t help and you can probably negotiate the holiday issue with them if you explain your situation.

There are lots of home based businesses that are growing and need help (personal assistant, gophers, helping managing the household...grocery shopping, etc.).

I've tried temp agencies as well and run into the same problem...temp to perm instead of just plain temp work.

Don't forget Goodwill Industries - their focus is hiring people with disabilities, so you can be honest about your situation and not get dinged for it.

Hope some of these suggestions help - best of luck.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved