MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/22/2011 10:46 AM

How often do you go see your docs?

capecod84
capecod84  

I am wondering if my treatment is being maximized or if it is over done.

I see the pdoc every three months, even though I am having issues with my memory. I see my therapist once a week. I feel like something needs to be adjusted because I am not progressing to what I view as "normal" behavior. What helps you?

09/22/2011 11:04 AM
bfly
bfly  
VIP Member

I personally see my pdoc once a month... We've had shorter or longer distances between appts depending on how I'm doing- I cycle a lot though (I'm actually quite gifted in the jack up my own brain chemistry department). So I'm not sure I should answer the second question in your post... oh but I probably will... maybe I will just say that I had to change my perspective of what "normal behavior" was for one. And I guess, just being compliant with your treatment, telling the pdoc of your concerns about needing to possibly be seen a little earlier- can always call between appts if you are doing poorly... Have a groovy day!

09/22/2011 11:21 AM
JustJulie62
JustJulie62Posts: 925

My pdoc set up a once a month phone call with me - I rarely see him, if at all. Maybe you need a new therapist - I would discuss with her/him that you feel you are not progressing as fast as you feel you should - ask them (like a therapists asks you) "What are your thoughts on this?"....sometimes you just need to change the players. Not all shrinks/therapists are good...they get burnt out too.

09/22/2011 12:13 PM
Cthebird
Cthebird  
Group Leader

Right now I'm on disability and haven't been completely stable for more than a few weeks at a time. I go to both my pdoc and tdoc every other week.

During times when I was coasting along, mildly depressed but no more I have been my pdoc every 3 weeks. When I was at a job for quite a while after hospitalizations it was as little as once per month with pdoc and every 3 weeks with tdoc. Pdoc did say, however, that once I have long-term stability visits could potentially be every 3 months. I don't see that in the near future.

09/22/2011 12:17 PM
pirateprincess421
pirateprincess421  
VIP Member

I see pdoc every 3 months or if I need it sooner, I just make an appt.

I just switched to every other week w tdoc.

I just finished an out patient program though so I am still retaining that info.

09/22/2011 01:52 PM
candace722

I see my pdoc every month, but I'm about to switch to my old pdoc who will see me every 2 or 3 weeks if I feel like i need it. I like him because he will sit and talk to me about how things are going, instead of doing like my current pdoc does at the mental health clinic.... she is nice, but she stares at the computer and types the whole time I'm trying ot talk. I'm sure she's overwhelmed with patients, but still... i'm just not happy with the care i'm receiving there. So, I'm fortunate enough that my old pdoc is going to see me again at a reduced cost since I have no insurance. I wasn't seeing a therapist at all because i really got burned by my last one. But after 9 months, I just felt like I needed to do something because of my depression. I can't talk to anyone about it and that makes things worse I know. So, yesterday, i went to see a therapist at my school's counseling center. It is free so that is helpful. She was really nice, too.

09/22/2011 02:42 PM
Migru
Migru  

I see my therapist every week. My p/doc I see every 2-3 weeks. I just came out of the hospital in August, so I suspect that routine is going to change. If you don't feel like you're progressing, then you might want to see your p/doc more. T/doc helps, but can't help a chem imbalance--only chems can do that.

09/23/2011 08:44 AM
CoolRide

About once every four months, but I would rather every day.

09/23/2011 10:24 AM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Every four to six weeks

09/23/2011 10:56 AM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Used to see my pdoc every 6-8 weeks or so, but he just started working at another clinic part-time and this is the first time I had to wait 3 months to get in to see him. They have an alternative of a nurse practitioner between sessions, but I feel ambivalent about that because I believe continuity of care is so important. So, I may be changing pdocs, who knows?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved