MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/06/2009 09:32 AM

physical fitness and PB

Greenlantern

Has anyone ever noticed that every doctor says diet and excersise can fix anything? Including mental illnesses?

Alot of the meds we take cause weight gain almost for everyone.

Is anyone a fitness guru that can maybe validate or dispute what these dr's claim?

Thanks

01/06/2009 09:41 AM
Ele

I think exercise is overated. But then again I am pretty lazy about it. I do have to admit that when I do exercise I always feel better.

01/06/2009 09:43 AM
MissMay1977

Hi greenlantern

I am not a fitness guru but I do workout daily. I don't believe diet and exercise can fix anything but it can make you feel better. By eating the combination of right foods your body will have more energy and feel better. I know the reason that I keep working out every day is because I get a " joggers high." This is a feeling of high or happiness you get after you do cardio for a length of time.

I hope this helps.

01/06/2009 10:03 AM
Greenlantern

MissMay, I was in the Army a very long time and was made to run all the time. I never hit a runner's high. I dont think I wanted to reach that point.

Thanks for your input. I always hated to exercise and now I just walk. But I know I am not getting the benefit from it like when I was in the Army.

Thanks

01/06/2009 10:13 AM
piedlourd
cirquepourvousPosts: 1710

I'm no guru but no dr. i've seen has told that exercise and diet will cure bp. mainly because there is no cure. however if you consider some of the symptoms you experience exercise and diet can and do help to control them. as an example, if you feel depression coming, get your ass out for a good walk and it will help. if you're feeling manic, again exercise helps burn off that energy. i find exercise tremendously beneficial, it clears my head, takes me away from problems i'm dwelling on, or let's whatever manic thoughts i might be having sort out.

diet can also affect your moods. it's pretty well documented that some bp folks have a craving junk foor. a bp friendly diet is pretty a very healthy diet avoiding processed food.

again these are just two ways you can help regulate moods and in fact it can lead to a reduction of meds.

just my 2 cents.

01/06/2009 10:23 AM
Greenlantern

Thanks Piedlourd. I know its good for all of us. I guess I am tired of having it crammed down my throat by my over wieght doctor.

01/06/2009 11:07 AM
janetfan70
janetfan70  

I am at that stage with my husband right now. I am trying to get him to work out with me but he has every excuse in the book on why he shouldn't. He has been stressed lately and of course still not taking his medication which would seriously calm him down but everytime I try and tell him that, he will constantly tell me that I should stop throwing that in his face.

Does anyone have any good ways of motivating a person to work out?

01/06/2009 11:26 AM
petermason2000
Peart2112  

I think diet an exercise can help, and I have just rededicated myself to my own physical fitness. But with BP, I do not think exercise and diet can replace your meds. The meds are there to combat a chemical imbalance. I'm not so sure exercise can do that. But feeling better through fitness can definitely help your moods and gives you an outlet for your stress.

01/06/2009 02:48 PM
justrembering
pirateprincess421  
VIP Member

I have never ever experienced any type of runners high while excercising. I think its a bunch of hooey. I exercise because I like to, not because I have to. I walk the dog when I can. Miss it when I can't, but never have I got the "rush" of endorphins I'm supposed to feel. So to all those who think its hooey, I agree. HOEEY!!!!

01/06/2009 03:14 PM
menmymania
menmymaniaPosts: 241

I get exercise highs too from the endorphins of working out. I do believe exercise and the sun can definitely help when there is depression, blues or during a woman's monthly cycle. If there was a cure-all I'd be doing it. Regular hobbies, exercise, friends, etc. all helps bring out some happiness so I definitely agree, the high is amazing sometimes just from sweating out the bad stuff!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved