MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/29/2011 09:33 AM

sensitivity to noise

olbigears

Hi does anyone else have over sensitivity to noises? Types of noises I mean are things like:

While watching TV, someone in the kitchen closes drawers and cupboards, washes dishes etc, or hearing someone talking while you are watching tv

While trying to concentrate on research or study, hearing someone else whispering or talking

Hearing babies cry

While trying to rest, hearing family members in other rooms

People coughing, sniffing, biting or picking nails, fidgeting

Even sometimes just the sound of the tv

Does anyone out there struggle with the same problems?

If so, do you know why? And especially how do you deal with it?

Many thanks for anyone's help

08/29/2011 01:44 PM
skeptical
skeptical  

I totally have sensitivity to noises like you describe. I also have constant tinnitus (ringing in the ears) as a side effect from Wellbutrin. So, it actually eases me to have some sort of noise in the background like soft music or a fan or something that blankets the ringing. However, other noises that are more sudden or harsh either "hurt" my ears or scare me or irritate me to the point of anger.

One of the people living above us stomps really hard when she walks, and often it will vibrate the floors and the couch right underneath me! This is EXTREMELY irritating, because the pounding is really jarring and being able to feel the pounding is really unsettling. Thank goodness they are moving this week!

So, I don't really know why, but I am super sensitive to a lot of noises, especially anything that causes a vibration or sudden piercing noise. The only thing I have found that helps is like I said, to have some constant low noise going in the background if I can. Complete silence makes the tinnitus seem worse, as well as any other sudden noises.

08/29/2011 02:18 PM
queenbean
queenbean  

I am very sensitive to noises. I get overloaded very easily. If more than one person is trying to talk to me or if there is music/TV/talking all at the same time. I have sort of a sensory overload and I get very irritable.

08/29/2011 02:35 PM
Bangbang
Bangbang  
Group Leader

I actually have to have the fan running in my bedroom to help me sleep. I got used to background noise decades ago ell working on Psych wards. I even have tinnitis and it does not bother me. However if I am watching TV I hate it when my wife starts doing the dishes. Very distracting. I have 50% loss of hearing in both ears..That helps...LOL

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved