MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/22/2011 11:28 AM

Are Bipolar people more Intelligent(page 3)

Zin

That's an interesting theory, Silverclaw. I, too, seem to be able to see all sides of a situation (not so clearly when I'm emotionally involved). But whether that has to do with bipolar or is simply a gift, I have no idea. But I'd be interested to hear more about your theory, if you'd like to pm me.

Hugz,

Zin

08/22/2011 11:41 AM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I don't believe all bipolar people are highly intelligent. I do believe that a larger percentage of bipolar people are gifted than in the normal population.

You can't say that people here are smart, so all bipolar people are smart because this is not a random sample of bipolar people. Probably, people of socioeconomic status and intelligence use computers and the internet and maybe are open minded enough to seek out support online.

08/22/2011 12:39 PM
angelique44
angelique44  

@kailur: I also score in the 99th percentile on verbal sections of aptitude tests, and average or below average on mathematics sections. Interesting--wonder if we have anything else in common (besides being bipolar)?

08/22/2011 01:29 PM
Silverclaw
Silverclaw  

That is an interesting concept YorkieLove! I think the reason for the possible higher intelligence rate may have something to do with the fact that we have mania on our side. I am self taught on everything I know because when I get manic I search out anything that has to do with my interests. I do have intelligent friends that are not bp, however I do find that most of my bp friends are more intelligent in things that spark their interests. I really do think it's because when we are manic we have energy and passion. I have had access to a computer only the past two years and once when I was manic and had a virus I located it and got rid of it on my own, just because of my determination to do research on something. I'll even sit on floors to book stores just to do research when I'm broke & manic. I guess it also depends on the indivuals own interests as well. I have a bp friend who indulges in shopping and she is awesome at being a thrifty shopper, but not so good at much else. I'll pay her to do my shopping sometimes!

08/22/2011 02:59 PM
BpdMe
BpdMe  

I feel the exact same way, like I am 10 times smarter than everyone else. The thing is I really do believe that I am. My I.Q. was tested and I scored slightly better than average so I am far from 10 times smarter. My Doctor tells me that I feel like I am better than most is caused by a symptom of Bipolar called Grandiosity.

08/23/2011 02:46 AM
lisaellen
lisaellen  

Hi Silverclaw very interesting, I believe what you are describing is a bilateral brain I understand a bilateral brain is great in comprehending natural language. I don't know about evolution but, for this process to occur we need external adversity to create adaptation: all part of the survival of the fittest theory, adapt or be bread out.

I have another theory I believe we are actually de-evolving while modern technology it is certainly evolving. Look at the developments over the last 100 years. Wow impressive but unfortunately modern comforts has made us lazy we don't have to fight for our survival, we no longer need to adapt or evolve.

Bilateral brain processes for comprehending natural language

http://cmbi.bjmu.cn/news/report/2005/neuro/6.pdf

Post edited by: lisaellen, at: 08/23/2011 02:49 AM

08/23/2011 05:32 AM
bennyw
bennyw  

Perhaps this thread hints more at boastfulness than intelligence Wink

Just joking!

Not sure about the 'both sides of the brain thing'. There's a vid on the net about a neurologist who had a stroke and became self aware about the different faculties she was losing as this was in progress. She speaks on this experience.

...perhaps our sample of users is a bit self-selecting and compromised on this question. The extremely socially excluded - which intuitively would seem have a disproportionate number of the mentally ill amongst their number - tend to have lower levels of internet access and social capital.

Post edited by: bennyw, at: 08/23/2011 05:34 AM

08/23/2011 06:16 PM
lisaellen
lisaellen  

Perhaps so or maybe drawing on own life experience Wink.

I read from a link here on mdjunction that intelligence seemed to act as a protective factor for one not developing the psychotic features of bp and those with lower IQ developed the psychotic features.

I honestly don't know but science is not absolute,as what they once thought was fact later becomes not so as new knowledge is found. The nature of science seems to be an absolute reality against which theories can be verified. To me that leaves room for error and scientific knowledge to rapidly change. Wow imagine what we will think we know in a hundred years or so and then this too will have room for marginal error and theories to expand and grow.

Once we believed babies felt no pain they than too opperated on babies without any antithetics. I shake my head at this for ones own interlect does not seem to entail common sense, you either have it or you don't.

Post edited by: lisaellen, at: 08/23/2011 06:21 PM

08/23/2011 06:33 PM
platelet60
platelet60  

lisaellen, could you share the link about lower IQ bipolars developing psychotic features while more intelligent bps don't? I think that's verrry interestink. And a little controversial. I kind of feel like higher intelligence leads to possibly a greater number of interconnections made and thus more fuel for elaborate delusional states. Even though they are breaches with reality, with a higher IQ they are more developed and have an internal logic of sorts that is all their own. I say this not knowing my own IQ yet knowing I've had pretty elaborate delusions. I also say this not having one day's worth of medical training.

08/23/2011 06:52 PM
lisaellen
lisaellen  

Yep sure its right on the bottom of the Bipolars Only Home Page

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2010/intelligence-linked-to- bipolar-disorder/

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 3 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved