MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/20/2011 01:18 AM

What exactly does "rapid cycling" mean?

angelique44
angelique44  

Does it mean one cycles rapidly from joyful mania to irritation or depression throughout a single day? Or through a week? Or through a month?

08/20/2011 01:27 AM
soy70
soy70  

I'd really like to know what this means for people who experience it. Is it the same as mixed states?

08/20/2011 03:02 AM
barelymanic
barelymanic  
VIP Member

Hey Soy, right now the DSM defines rapid cycling as cycling 4 times or more in a 12 month period. I thought we all did that.

08/20/2011 03:33 AM
soy70
soy70  

Oh, ok, thanks. It also sounds like one might go straight to manic without a 'hypomanic phase'? I tend to escalate very quickly, when I do at all, which is rare now. Having a mixed state sounds awful, I really feel for those who have to experience that.

08/20/2011 09:39 AM
manicmetoo
manicmetoo  

I myself can cycle several times a day... I cycle several times a week now even on meds that seem to make me stable, I dont go up or down as far as I used to. I also have mixed states, but since I dont go up or down so extreme they are very mild.

08/20/2011 10:22 AM
stevesayshi
stevesayshi  

I seem to cycle 3 or 4 times a year. I seem to get little Mini cycles along the way. Mixed state's thrown in for fun.

08/20/2011 10:56 AM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

barelymanic is correct, however, the DSM defines what it means by "Rapid Cycling."

"Rapid cycling" is defined as:

"At least 4 or more episodes of a mood disturbance in the previous 12 months that meet the criteria for a Major Depressive, Manic, Mixed, or Hypomanic Episode.

NOTE: Episodes are demarcated either by partial or full remission for at least 2 months or a switch to an episode of opposite polarity (e.g., Major Depressive Episode to Manic Episode)."

What this means:

1. Daily, weekly, monthly mood fluctuations are NOT rapid-cycling.

2. Each "cycle" must meet the diagnostic criteria for that kind of diagnosis. In other words, a cycle of depression requires at least 2 weeks of depression to diagnose. A cycle of mania requires at least 1 week to diagnose. Hypomanic requires at least 4 days. Mixed requires at least 1 week.

3. There is a minimum of 2 months that separates the episodes.

4. During the 2 months or more of separation, the mood disturbance is in partial or full remission or has switched to opposite polarity (i.e. gone from manic to depressed).

08/20/2011 11:05 AM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

"Rapid Cycling" is a very precise diagnostic term (see above). It does not have the same meaning that we use when we casually say we are "cycling" or "rapid cycling."

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved