MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/12/2011 10:10 PM

hey everyone...im new to this

Liliana143

Please help!! I have a sister who s bipolar and i dont know what to do anmore...keep her out of my life or wtick by her even though she always hurts me and tries to ruin my life... I dont knw much about the disease but s pathologically lying something thats normal??Sad

08/12/2011 11:04 PM
stevesayshi
stevesayshi  

BPD unfortunately not only affects the individual, but the people around them. Proper treatment and family support goes a long way. As for the lying. I belief the truth is always more interesting than a lie.

08/12/2011 11:19 PM
PlumIce87
PlumIce87  

Intentionally lying is an act that depends on the person and has nothing to do with the disorder. Just because Im bipolar does not mean I lie. Maybe ur sister can be a bit difficult to deal with for now, bt understanding her and what shes going through, being educated abt the disorder as much as u can in her case i hope can help w working with her a lil more..

08/12/2011 11:31 PM
ComingUndone
ComingUndone  

As far as I know, pathologically lying is not a symptom of bipolar disorder. I've known pathological liars and it was very annoying. I just called them out on their lies.

Hopefully she is getting professional help and family support through this time is nice to have. But, I think it's good to set boundaries.

I hope things get better for you and your sister soon.

08/13/2011 09:05 AM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

As coming undone said, lying in and of itself is not a symptom of bipolar. However, if she is Bipolar I and severely manic one symptom is grandiosity and may have exaggerated ideas about things, but it really won't be outright lying. That has a whole different underlying cause that needs to be addressed. Bipolar disorder is treatable and if she is seeing a psychiatrist she should be taking medications to control symptoms of the disorder. If she isn't then she needs to.

The best thing you can do is to educate yourself about bipolar so you can know what to expect as far as symptoms to better recognize them and to help your sister get the help she needs. "Bipolar for Dummies" is a good book for a basic understanding. Here is a website provided by the government's National Institutes of Health that you can read to help you:

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/bipolar- disorder-easy-to-read/index.shtml

Encourage her to seek help for her bipolar because it is treatable and she will feel better. But she will have to recognized the lying and work on that, too.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved