MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/27/2011 05:56 AM

Urges to commit suicide still.

Endzeit

Hi so I've jusy been diagnosed with Bipolar 1 about 3 weeks ago and I have been put on Lamictal, I know the 1st 2 weeks they said I would not feel nothing but I'm on 50 mg at the moment now, but I still feel the urge to just want to kill myself just because I want to and because I can, so right now its exausting trying to keep myself stabel mentally, and how rapid my cycles change I can't keep up, I feel its gonna get to a point where I'm just not gonna care anymore and just go through with it.
--- The discussion has been locked ---

06/27/2011 06:49 AM
Sparkerama

The period after diagnosis is a dangerous time because a treatment plan is still tentative and patient awareness of treatment strategies is low. Have faith that there is much that can be done to ease your suffering and that most of us have gone through this. The impulse to hurt yourself is usually based in a desire to stop suffering and a belief that nothing can be done. Take it from me: suffering can be stopped and treatment can be effective. It is merely a symptom of the illness to think otherwise; don't let it fool you.

06/27/2011 06:49 AM
Sparkerama

I would also urge you to notify your doctor of these suicidal thoughts.

06/27/2011 07:19 AM
ZadieBlue
ZadieBluePosts: 4547
VIP Member

I agree with Sparky. My advice -- and I know this is difficult, even for the seasoned veteran -- is to try to accept where you are right now without judging yourself. Try not to think of the past or guess about the future, but try to stay in the here and now. You've made a commitment to change and try to make things better, and it's a process that'll take some time. In my experience, being on Lamictal was very frustrating since it takes forever to raise the dose to a therapeutic level -- once there, I got the dreaded rash and had to be taken off of it! It may take a while to figure out the meds, but in the meantime there are behavioral things you care try to help you cope. Yes, call your pdoc -- some meds have the side effect of making these feelings worse.

Zadie

06/27/2011 07:50 AM
Arauna

Hi, I was diagnosed almost 17 years ago now and even though I am for the most part stable there are times or things that trigger depressive and suicidal thoughts. I hate these periods because I don't feel good, physically or mentally, and fighting the thoughts is hard sometimes. But I do it because I know that that is all they are, thoughts, and that I *can* be in control of what happens to myself by getting ridding of them and following the new, positive path that has been laid out for me. Believe me, if you can hang in there and recognize things for what they are or aren't, that can really help you. But the only way to be sure is to talk to your doctor about your concerns.

Back to the thoughts - the specific way I deal with them is when they come, recognize them as a symptom of my illness or perhaps an exaggerated reaction to a legitimate concern, and put them back instead of dwelling on them. I know they are going to come, the experts and the DSM-IV say so, so I kind of think to myself "oh, a suicidal thought" and I dissect it and pull it apart before I integrate it. That stops me pretty much every time now. Ever since I told myself no, those thoughts are the line, I haven't had much trouble with it. Good luck and if you want to write to me please do.

06/27/2011 09:37 AM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi. If you are having "urges to commit suicide" or "feel its gonna get to a point where I'm just not gonna care anymore and just go through with it," please contact your psychiatrist immediately or go to the nearest Emergency Room or call 911. The number for the National Suicide Prevention Hotline is 1-800-273-8255.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved