MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/23/2011 08:02 AM

antidepressants that WON'T cause weight gain?

usmcwife
usmcwife  

I've been talking about how down I've been for the past few weeks. The earliest appt I could get with my psych isn't until next week. She's talked about adding an antidepressant. I considered it, but I know so many people who blame weight gain on them..

I was afraid that lamictal would also. S far so good with the lamictal.

Soooooo who knows of an antidepressant that isn't associated with weight gain?

06/23/2011 08:17 AM
usmcwife
usmcwife  

reading online wellbutrin is a drug that doesn't cause weight gain...?

06/23/2011 08:27 AM
pirateprincess421
pirateprincess421  
VIP Member

Lamictal made me lose weight. Im on lexapro which didnt make me gain weight.

06/23/2011 08:29 AM
manicmetoo
manicmetoo  

cymbalta and effexor never caused me any weight gain.

06/23/2011 08:32 AM
mem2427

I take wellbutrin and I have lost weight on it.

06/23/2011 08:36 AM
capecod84
capecod84  

They are all different. I am pretty sure any of them in high doses can put weight on you. I would really look for one that treats my symptoms first. With every antidepressant I have been on I have had to struggle to keep my weight down, but I am not a skinny girl to begin with. If I don't watch my calories I'll gain thirty pounds. I would discuss it with the doctor. I don't see much benefit from my ad. My lamictal really provides me the most benefit.

06/23/2011 08:38 AM
Arauna

I think perhaps you mean that people complain about the mood stabilizers and antipsychotics like Depakote, lithium, Seroquel, etc. Some of them can cause significant weight gain, you can check it out at the manufacturer's web site.

My pdoc told me that the reason a lot of people gain weight, including myself, on particular meds is because they increase your appetite while making you feel slowed down. If you put the two together you get me sitting on the couch eating ice cream, when I could have a salad and a bike ride. Wink

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved