MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/19/2011 06:12 AM

Would you see a therapist who is bipolar?

psyd2b
psyd2b  

So, I had this conversation with someone the other day and thought it would be fun to throw this question out to the group..... Would you go to a therapist who is bipolar (managed, not symptomatic, of course)? And why or why not? Wink

BTW - I'm new at this, so please forgive any faux pas as to where/what/how to post. I'm just a newbie trying to make new friends and get involved in the community. Sideways

Thanks!

Post edited by: psyd2b, at: 06/19/2011 06:28 AM

06/19/2011 07:11 AM
pirateprincess421
pirateprincess421  
VIP Member

I personally would not. But it is hard to tell when you meet a person. I think if I started noticing signs of trouble (cancelled appts), I would be concerned. But I wouldn't put up with that from any therapist.

They of course are not going to tell you. That would be unprofessional.

06/19/2011 07:25 AM
capecod84
capecod84  

How would you know? Most doctors cancel appointments. I personally don't want to judge anyone because I sit here and cry miserably when people judge me. I think if the person holds the license they must hold a certain skill set we do not despite the illness. What matters most is can this person help you? They may not fit you, but the next person they may do wonders for. Alot of people in the profession do have some form of mental illness. I personally don't care as long as my paperwork gets processed.

06/19/2011 07:32 AM
pirateprincess421
pirateprincess421  
VIP Member

My doctor has NEVER canceled on me. Once she changed my time an hour later. That's what I mean by professionalism. If someone is having an episode they would be not able to handle their daily functions. Im sure there are great therapists out there with BP or other diseases. But my point is the professionalism.

06/19/2011 07:45 AM
Sparkerama

I would view it as an asset, but it is one of many things I would consider.

06/19/2011 10:21 AM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

psyd2b, Great question! Welcome to MDJ. This is a very encouraging, supportive and informative group. If you have any questions, please feel free to send a private message (PM) to me or any other group leader.

Now for my answer to your question: Yes, I would consider seeing a bipolar therapist. My feeling is it might make them more compassionate and empathic. But I would not pick a therapist just because they were bipolar. In other words, bipolar is OK, but it is just part of the total picture I'd consider.

06/19/2011 12:28 PM
burtcat
burtcat  

I wouldn't mind but....of course they wouldn't tell you! I see no reason why it would matter in my opinion though!Smile

04/17/2012 09:38 AM
LaurenCat
LaurenCat  

I definitely would! They would be able to relate to m on a personal basis!

04/17/2012 10:06 AM
bob333
bob333  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

i would if they were fairly stable but the downside is they 2 will b at times struggling with coping with bipolar hence wen u hav lost hope tht therapist will struggle more to install hope in u.

04/17/2012 10:30 AM
Cthebird
Cthebird  
Group Leader

I think it would be highly inappropriate for the therapist to tell me he/she has it up front. If after a while of going to him/her they divulge it, then I would not have a problem with it if I've been happy with them so far. I might, however, scrutinize them a bit if I saw them particularly happy/elated or down/depressed that day. That might distract me and make me feel uncomfortable. Not knowing if a therapist/pdoc has bipolar (assuming they don't) would probably make me feel that they just had a particularly good or bad day.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved