MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/20/2008 07:21 PM

What if your bipolar child makes a CPS claim?

tammiev

My daughter was having an episode the other night after 8-9 weeks of no episodes...She started with the language, wanted us to let her leave(she is 15). Slammed her fist in the mirror(thank god it did not break), kicking the walls, closet, etc...We chose to try and keep her from going and hurting herself, so her stepfather restrained her from continuing. He did not hurt her at all(she has a 2 year old sister who was sleeping in the other room). He just wanted her to stop...long story short...she had her meds that morning...but she had none the next morning...went to school and made a report we choked her, etc...I'm at my witt's end...I have fought for her so hard, so long...she does not see it...this was the last straw...I'm tired...I keep trying and I feel like we are all dumped on and then when she says sorry it's suppose to be ok...help!!Tell me I'm not alone going through this...I just want my daughter to finish school and be a productive part of society...I keep saying she has a disorder..she's not a delinquent I don't want her in Juvenille Hall(people are quick with this answer)...sorry to go on and on...

12/20/2008 07:27 PM
norma
normaPosts: 10109
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

That is really hard for you as a mother, dear. When she is calmer...sit down and explain if she has another outburst you will have no choice but to call 911...then, do it...trying to restrain someone who is having a violent episode is not advisable, whether she is a child or an adult. If she is so manic that she is a danger to herself or others then, she needs to be in the hospital.

Get in touch with her doctor, if you haven't already and explain the situation. Violent behavior is a sign that something is very wrong. Can be her meds need adjusting...a hospital setting may be the best place for her under the circumstances...and no she is not a delinquent...just needs some loving guidance.

12/20/2008 07:34 PM
norma
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

By the way when the CPS investigates explain the situation to them...and remember the more violent she becomes the calmer you and hubby need to be. Violent behaviors are best handled by a calm reaction. If she begins to break things or tries to harm herself or others, of course, that is when 911 needs to be called. And again I urge you to make an appointment with her doctor as soon as possible. The doctor should be monitoring her behavior while she is on medication. When she visits the doctor makes sure you talk with doc alone to get the doctor's opinion. She is still a minor and you are her parent and have every right to be well informed about her medical care.

12/20/2008 07:34 PM
tammiev

Thank you, I appreciate your quick response. We just changed her meds 8 weeks ago...I'm guessing the dosage may need to change at this point. I did speak with her Doctor...Had we just let her walk out the door...I explained her disorder to the Investigator, unfortunately, there is a history and her school knows the battle I've been facing just keeping her in school.

12/20/2008 07:40 PM
norma
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

My son was diagnosed at 14 yrs...he never was violent. But, I remember the doctor having to monitor his meds closely...kids grow fast at that age and the doctor said the hormonal changes in them make it important to watch for any changes in behavior.

By the way my son finished high school and leads a productive life...he is fine as long as he takes his meds...he is 26 now...

Glad you joined the group...there are several people here that are parents of children with bipolar disorder...

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved