MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/26/2011 01:16 PM

NEW PSYCH & THERAPIST - APPT UPDATE

ChristyDee
ChristyDee  

*big sigh*

while i realize it was a first appointment, an starting assessment, i'm sad to report i'm not sure that the appointment(s) went well.

it was mostly my communication problems getting in the way, i'm sure. also they practice a style of care that they spoke of alot, but i'm not familiar with (going to try and web search it now).

i kept referring to an urgent need to settle my most upsetting symptoms, although i never really got into detail of what those are.

basically the psych said i should be off the ativan (the only med i take) and switched to prozac. grr. no thanks. he thinks it is the first line of defense for anxiety and upset. at least he didn't mention a huge list of drugs for all sorts of conditions. he seemed patient and calm, nice enough. i don't think i enjoy male providers as much as female.

the therapist seemed nice enough, but i'm not sure i'll go again. i nearly ran out of there between the two appoinments and when my time was up i didn't even check out and bolted to the car, peeling out of the parking lot. feel sorta like a waste of my morning.

oh well, hells bells. at least i'm not in any immediate state of crazy or detriment (today).

i guess they'll report back to my physician who may want to talk about it at my next med check appointment, in july.

04/26/2011 05:55 PM
Sparkerama

I try not to act out from symptoms when I see doctors. I try to be polite and respectful and show up on time. This has led to me being able to get favorable treatment during emergencies.

Just a thought.

04/26/2011 07:59 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I'm sorry your appointments didn't go as well as planned. I'm surprised he his just putting you on an antidepressant. That can cause mania in bipolar people. I'd watch out for that. If you don't feel comfortable you can always get a new psychiatrist or therapist. Sometimes it takes a few tries to find that right doctor.

04/26/2011 08:45 PM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I'd be disappointed if I were in your shoes, mostly because I don't expect a chunk of my first appointment to be a commercial for anybody's "style of care." Seems to me that if you were having difficulty articulating specific symptoms, then the job of the doctor was to help draw you out.

I agree with everything Joy75 said. The doctor's recommendation makes me question whether or not his diagnosis is bipolar.

Post edited by: sarahtroy, at: 04/26/2011 08:46 PM

05/13/2011 04:09 PM
capecod84
capecod84  

From what you've said, it doesn't sound like you have found the right care team if you took off running to your car. Offices usually don't schedule a psychiatrist appt and a therapist appt in the same day because the insurance usually doesn't pay. I would go some where else, especially if the office didn't call you and asked what happened. You should feel comfortable the docs should establish a rapport with you. Definitely get a second opinion.

05/13/2011 04:48 PM
cabinfever
cabinfever  

I'm sorry your appointments didn't go the way they should have gone. I agree with the others and would seek another psychiatrist and therapist. It took me several times to find one that I fit with. I hope you don't have to wait until July to see someone else. {{{{{HUGS}}}}

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved