MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/22/2011 12:10 AM

how long does bipolar diagnosis denial last for?

24loquitas
24loquitasPosts: 241

I'm going to get a second opinion on my diagnosis from a new psychiatrist.

Question? Is it still considered hearing voices if u recognize what it is? And it seems to be your own thought but you would never think something so awful?

04/22/2011 12:26 AM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I went through 3 pdocs and a hospital and did all the tests and it still comes up with the diagnosis BPII & GAD. Accepting it was a little easier after all those in agreement.

Its been almost 8 years now and I still have times when accepting it is difficult. It comes and goes each time it seems to get a little easier. Looking back at my history should convince me without a doubt but I'm thick headed and want things my way. Unfortunately the world of BP don't work that way. Eventually you may find acceptance in your own way.

04/22/2011 12:49 AM
ApRiLGeTsAngry77

My doctor did not tell me of my diagnosis. I seen it on the check out paper when I left his office about 7 years ago. Once I realized what it was, I accepted it. I still sometimes struggle with being diagnosed as bipolar because sometimes I feel like I am not but then I just remind myself that my medication is working.

I think if you recognize it as something that you have thought about than it may not be considered hearing voices. It could just be your thought processing is off for the mement. I would ask your pdoc about it. Good Luck!

04/22/2011 12:54 AM
24loquitas

I've never been hospitalized or lost my job or been arrested or anything that has caused me to think I was out of control. I don't know if its because I am not bipolar or because I was raised in a family where we didn't flip out. It seems that when I have problems is with romantic relationships. I'm not a violent person at all or at least I.never used to be. Now I have to contain my anger or I'm afraid I will end up in jail. It just seems like the bipolar spectrum is so big where almost anyone could be diagnosed with it.

04/22/2011 01:05 AM
tinkerlulu
tinkerlulu  

you know i think that i am in denial i even got my doctor to say he misdiagnosed me but i dunno becuz i dont have the racing thoughts or any high spells at all... i dunno i am a little confuzed on it..

04/22/2011 01:14 AM
24loquitas

Highs aren't always fun...it can be restlessness, irritability, spending a ton of money, non stop talking and laughing, increased sex drive. If u get depressed a lot maybe to you this just feels normal.so u don't notice it.much. or maybe you are not bipolar. I'd get second opinion..that's what I'm doing. Not to say that I am not bipolar, but to see what another doctor thinks

04/22/2011 02:01 AM
Volante
Volante  

Accepting that I have Bipolar Disorder was one of the hardest things I have ever gone through. I was in denial for 5 years going on and off medication. Each time I went off medication I went into a psychotic mania, hearing voices and having delusions.

When I started to think that God was talking to me I finally realized that I had this illness. I have been med complaint for 4 years now and my life has been so much better. With out medications I would be in a mental ward and sometimes that hard to swallow.

My advice is to accept that you have to take medication for the rest of your life. I used to think that I would heal and all the symptoms of BP would go away but that is far from the truth. Ive been bipolar for 8 years now and that is what I have to live with now. Truly, BP has ruined my life but I have to accept that.

04/22/2011 05:59 AM
Babydoll76
Babydoll76  

I've never been hospitalized or in jail, never lost my job and have been in a 14 year relationship (with a few bumps only showing up in the last four years) so I know where you are thinking... is this really me? Am I really BP or are they just handing out this diagnoses to anyone. I went nine years in denial. Refusing to see a doctor even though my brother (who is BPI as well) kept telling me that he really believed I had BP.

My anger was out of control, my moods would jump from happy-go-lucky with all the energy in the world to depressed and wanting to pack my bags and run away (running away is my form of suicide since I don't believe in suicide) with bouts of anger all in between. I finally saw myself for what I was when my anger started to scare even me with thoughts that weren't something I'd normally think.

I've only been diagnosed for a coming up on three years. Sometimes I think my doctor got it wrong (both doctors) that I can't possible be BP but I know deep in my heart that they're not wrong. My meds work (when I take them like I'm supposed to) and my kids even notice when I've missed a dose, so I go by the assumption I just can't see myself as well as others see me.

Give it time, that's really all we can do.

04/22/2011 06:45 AM
Sparkerama

A BP diagnosis is a loss--a loss of ideal health. To accept a loss, we have to grieve it first.

After grieving mine, I saw how much I still have, and began trying to make a life out of it. I'm still working on it but my progress is good. It's also a little scary, knowing that if I lose control of the BP, I could have all kinds of setbacks.

It's also scary knowing the loss it would be to my family if I have a severe reversal.

Nonetheless, I am eager to push ahead, engage life, and live it as well as I can. If those moments of diagnosis doubt come, I just smile.

04/22/2011 06:51 AM
Elmstreet007
Elmstreet007  

I remember what happened to me is I started acting mysterious not long after I got out of college and was back living with my parents. They took me to the doc and they diagnosted me with depression and put me on prozac.

This whole time, I didn't really believe I was depressed. When a few weeks went by and I had my first manic episode due to being on the prozac, I had to go to the hospital for the first time beacause I was out of control. The whole time I was in the hospital I was in denial of being bipolar there, thinking the doc had gone from one bad diagnosis to another. A few months later I switched doctors and when I had a second episode, went to another hospital, and had another set of bipolar meds that made me feel better, I realized that I must have that condition. I had several doctors telling me I had it, and I was responding to the meds designed for it, so at that point I accepted what I had. It took me less than a year.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved