MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/01/2011 09:45 PM

pdoc increased my lamictal.....

mariel24h
mariel24hPosts: 1145

SO I saw my pdoc yesterday and she increased my lamictal from 250 to 300mgs. I told her I was feeling ok. I am not sure why she increased it. She said it was the right dose to take. I guess I forgot to ask why...

04/02/2011 04:31 AM
ApRiLGeTsAngry77

Maybe it was because you seemed flat to her? My former pdoc knew me very well and she could tell by my demeanor sometimes that I needed a med increase, and I wouldn't even have to say anything!

Lamictal is a great medication. I was just getting to the theraputic dosage when I lost my insurance and couldn't take it anymore. It is a drug I would like to try again sometime. I think I have built up a tolerance to my Geodon.

Thanks for posting and keeping us updated on what is going on with you because We Care!

04/02/2011 07:16 AM
Volante
Volante  

I have been on Lamictal for 3 years and my pdoc put me on 300mg. I think this is the therapeutic dose. Thats probably why it was upped. It is a great med so I hope its doing its job for you.

04/02/2011 12:45 PM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I think 300mg is considered a pretty standard therapeutic dosage for Lamictal.

04/02/2011 03:04 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I take 400mg of Lamictal. My psychiatrist doesn't want to go any higher than that. Maybe your psychiatrist thought that would be a therapeutic dose for you. I think it will make you feel even better than alright. It's might get you feeling good. I hope this is the case.

04/02/2011 03:16 PM
puppyPower
puppyPower  

Just a heads up to the board, Lamictal's generic is now available at Bi-Lo for $4. If you don't have a Bi-Lo, your pdoc may be able to find it for you somewhere else. Wal-Mart doesn't have it on their $4 list yet.

04/02/2011 03:23 PM
cslocombe

They are planning on working me up, but right now I'm 25mg.

04/03/2011 11:04 AM
WastedSpace

I'm also on 300 mg of Lamictal. It's a medication that's tritrated up slowly. And yes, I've heard that anywhere from 300-400 mg of Lamictal is considered the standard therapeutic dose. It'll vary from individual to individual. For me, it's been such a lifesaver.

04/03/2011 11:15 PM
Zin

Lamictal is a good med in stabilizing mood swings. I hope it does well for you. I think 300 mg is a good, average dose. My doc eventually had to work me up to 500 mg, which is higher than the "recommended' dose. But when we asked him about this, he said that people are all different and some people require a larger dose. He had to do that to most of my bipolar meds. He must think you need it. Besides, I would think that 300 mg is easier to work with as all you have to do is cut a 200 mg in half. Sometimes psychs see something we don't, and that's the reason behind their actions. At any rate, I don't think it's anything you need to worry about in any way.

Hugs,

Zin

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved