MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/15/2011 06:55 PM

Our Kids

DarkPassenger

I've just wondered, I've been "non-episodal" now for almost three years, seems a long time to go without meds (of one type or another), gave up the drugs and booze three years ago, and that seems to have sorted out "most" of my triggers, although I still get the tremendous lows sometimes, I just find that without the coke, I don't seem to lapse into huge raging episodes of hypers-exuality, rage and depression. Although I do seem to take long breaks between my very extreme episodes anyway (does any one else get this?) anyway...

I have recently started wondering about if my 12 year old daughter is going to inherit my condition. I have noticed she seems very A.D.D at school and similar to me in every way when I was a kid; does anyone have any experience as parents with BP noticing their kids BL habits?

Cheers guys, so happy to say its been a while since I've been here! but I wish you all well. I really should come back more often to say Hi, especially as you were ALL such great help during the bad times.

Hugs

02/15/2011 07:07 PM
JoeStubbs

My son is a carbon copy of me and I struggle with him on a daily basis. As of now the doctors keep saying ADHD and god I hope thats all it is but because he is so much like me I fear he will continue to be like me. The one thing I know he will have that I did not if it turns out to be BP is a loving, supportive and EDUCATED Dad that understands BP and can help him out every step of the way.

02/15/2011 07:15 PM
DarkPassenger

yes, I'm thinking exactly the same, she goes to remedial classes, she's really bright but really lazy sometimes, just cannot concentrate on a book for more than 10 mins. Half way down a page of maths she just disintegrates into mistake after mistake because she loses concentration. I see so much of me in her, it gets a bit scary knowing what I was like later in life, you know? I would hate for her to go through all the addiction and booze crap. I suppose you're right, just keep hoping its ADD and keep watching "very closely".

02/15/2011 07:24 PM
JoeStubbs

My sons only in 4th grade and it really picked up with him last year which is the same age I started my downward spiral looking back. I try to look at the fact that I am all over getting him the help he needs where I did not. I look back on the crap I did in my life which in a nutshell was sex,drugs and rock and roll with some Police events mixed in and I am determined to not let him go down the same road I did. our kids are at a much greater advantage than you and I because we are looking at them now and watching closely. Good discussion thanks for bringing it up.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved