MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/12/2007 01:51 PM

Question about David Oliver?

moonstwilight

hey everyone,

I was doing some research on bipolar disorder and came across the name David Oliver several times.

I subscribed to his mailing list and have been recieving emails and newletters from him for a few months now.

I am aware that he is not a doctor or professional. Just someone with a lot of experiance dealing with a bipolar loved one.

I was wondering if any here had also heard of him, and what ya'll though about him and/or the systems he markets.

12/16/2007 05:57 AM
carmen33
carmen33  
VIP Member

Hey Moonstwilight, I have heard about him, like you have subscribed to his newletters, and personally? I would not waste money on his system, it might work for those dealing with bipolars, I can't say, but for me, I didn't find it to be of anyworth.

Carmen

12/16/2007 01:14 PM
ezevans

I actually found his materials very useful as a significant other. His emails provide me with practical examples of how some folks with biplor disorder experience things, triggers, and common sense ways to better manage living with the disorder and how I as the significant other should react/not react. Since his materials weren't very expensive I didn't have an issue taking a chance. I passed his materials on to my mother-in-law and I think it helped her get a better understanding of what the disorder is, the wide range and intensity folks experience, and that with appropriate treatment (which we all knows varies by individual and can take some time to identify), life can be good.

I have done the NAMI course and read everything out there and his stuff just seemed to click best for me.

12/16/2007 01:15 PM
carmen33
carmen33  
VIP Member

Cool, I am glad that you have found it useful, being a person with bipolar it didn't really fit for me.

12/16/2007 01:22 PM
ezevans

Carmen, can you tell us what you have found most helpful? Whether its internet, book, doctors, medications,etc. I know its not a perfect step1, step2 process and one size does not fit all but its really helpful to hear!!!! Thanks

12/16/2007 05:09 PM
bipolarmomma
bipolarmomma  

ezevans

Carmen has posted a thread in the introductions section labeled "Favorite information and links" or something like that. IT is pinned at the top, not hard to find. You should find some useful material there. Hope that this helps.

12/16/2007 06:17 PM
carmen33
carmen33  
VIP Member

Hi EZ, like Momma said there is a post, which I believe you can get to by clicking the link under my name where it says Popular Posts...there is a bunch of information there that I found useful, you are right ez, it isn't one size fits all, how I wish for everyone's sake that it was.. research, education, therapy and medications is what has worked for me, my sobriety, and developing some coping methods..which for me was just hiding away till what ever was going on, went away, like the panic attacks, rages, etc.. I don't recommend that path for anyone..but for me at the time it was all I had to hold on too,

Now my coping includes taking my meds like I am suppose too, keeping my appointments with my Pdoc, my therapist and my regular doctor.. regular sleeping times, waking times (at least as close as I can get them..lol.) trying to eat on a decent schedule..(I'm diabetic) and realizing that I am entitled to my emotions, be they good or bad, that they don't make me a bad person, just human and not the robot that I have been expected to be.

Finding this Forum for me has been a life saver, having each and everyone of you here helps more than what I can express. It's nice knowing that I have someone there for me, even if they are on the other end of the computer monitor to talk to when I need.

I hope that you will learn about this illness, the medications that you are taking and learn to be proactive in your health care.

Carmen

07/06/2008 06:52 PM
BipolarD
BipolarDPosts: 1

Regarding David Oliver: I found his material to be rather intersting. No, he is not a professional but there is a lot of common sense stuff in his materials. I wonder at times if he himself is really bipolar with a major case of hypergraphia (writing a lot) for he has lots of written stuff on his website.

I would go on to recommend a book that my wife recently gave to me that really fits:

The Bipolar Handbook by Wes Burgess MD PHD. You can get it at Amazon pretty cheap.

I am 38 years old and was diagnosed when I was 27 but realize I had the condition for years before that. I am just coming off almost a full year of the most intense mania I have ever had. The aftermath is brutal. I am working on rebuilding my life - first of trying to find a reason to rebuild my life. So, times are challenging.

Peace, d

10/23/2008 05:26 AM
karenfourie

Good Day

Would you please, send his e-mail adress to

KF

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved