MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/09/2010 03:49 PM

What to do about me?

MOTHERTERESA2

What happens when first my physical, then my mental health goes haywire, and I can't support, when I am sicker than the bipolar husband?????

This is happening to me because I am trying to be a support person, for my spouse ????????????? !!

11/09/2010 04:11 PM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi and welcome, this is a very supportive group and there are others here like yourself who are not bipolar and are married to one that is. I'm so sorry to hear you are having a lot of physical problems, I hope you can get some of that treated. It's no wonder you are feeling you are losing your mental health too, you have a lot going on in your life right now. Remember you are not 'superwomen' and i hope your husband sees that you are unable to always be there to support him, i hope he has other supports too to turn to.

Keep posting here, we are all here for you, tell us how you are feeling, we know this illness at times is not easy to deal with, but bipolar can be treatable. Wishing you overall wellness.

11/09/2010 04:31 PM
mem7478

Sounds like you need to focuse on yourself right now. It is the only way you can really be there for others. I hope feel better soon. I always seem to put myself last. it is good to do something nice for ourselves sometimes. hugs to youSmile

11/09/2010 04:50 PM
MOTHERTERESA2

I appreciate all of the replies that are sent to me, please believe me, and I will keep in touch on MDJunction.....

11/09/2010 05:08 PM
ASO1979able
ASO1979able  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

It sounds like you could use a little "me time" right now. Let your husband's therapist and psychiatrist be his support for a short time while you focus on you. I know this may seem selfish to you, but it's really not because like others have said you can't take care of anyone else until you take care of you. I wish you all the best.

11/09/2010 08:39 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

When you are sicker than your bipolar husband you have got to take care of yourself first. You can't help someone if you are not well. I'm sorry about your physical an mental health you have right now. I would advise you to get a therapist for yourself to get through your mental health. Does your husband have any other type of support he can turn to in the meantime? Being a spouse to a bipolar person is not an easy thing. Does he take his medications? Is he in therapy? I hope so. He may need a medication adjustment if they are not working for him correctly. Welcome to the group. You will find much support here and many people that are very friendly. I hope you seek out help for yourself and get your mental health under control. We are here for you.

11/10/2010 02:02 AM
norma
normaPosts: 10109
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Glad you joined the Bipolar Group. I have bipolar disorder and until recently was the main caregiver for my 28 yr old son who has it too. Unless you are well and healthy there is not much you can do for someone who needs your care. Take care of yourself. Maybe having a talk with your husband's doctor or therapist explaining that you cannot be a caregiver at this time may help the situation. Perhaps they may make suggestions as to what alternatives are available.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved