MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/02/2010 01:24 PM

Direct Line To God

cassiejosh

Hi I'm fairly new to this so please bear with me! When I was manic I found i was getting "messages" from God. As a committed Catholic and having read various books I actually thought this was normal. Has anyone else had this experience? I'd be grateful for ur comments.

I take

Risperidone 2mg

Escitalopram 20mg

thanks

Lisa

11/02/2010 04:39 PM
greenskyz

Not exactly. I thought that i had the answers to life and figured out what happens when we die. When i tried to tell people they didn't understand, so i thought that it was beyond their comprehension and that it was knowledge just for me. I know other people have experienced thinking god was talking to them or sending messages though.

11/02/2010 04:43 PM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

We have had many people here that have had God experiences while manic. These were anything from messages from God to being God. It's fairly normal for bipolar patients.

11/03/2010 06:12 AM
Volante
Volante  

In 2008 when I was unmedicated, I went into a psychotic mania and I thought I was speaking to God directly. While it was thrilling to be on missions from God, being medicated and looking back, I put myself in harms way too many times to count. I recommend a med adjusment if you think you have a direct line to God. It is a delusion and it is not real.

11/03/2010 06:39 AM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

When i went into a mania/psychosis i definately had spiritual experiences, eg. good vs evil, hallucinations eg. people having evil eyes, God using me to help with His divine plans, saw the Virgin Mary appear in my hospital psych. ward room, which i became so very relaxed...i did not practice my faith at that time which was over two decades ago...i've never had these experiences again nor have i become manic again. I pushed whatever faith i had behind me and was very dry spiritually for over 3 yrs.

I'm presently a practicing christian (Roman Catholic like yourself) and my advice to you is if you feel you want to discuss these "messages" with someone i'd chose a priest if i were you...if no priest is available ask the priest to recommend someone who is qualified like a spiritual director to discuss these messages and your thoughts about them with you. I've run across people and also read several books about those who claim to be receiving 'messages' too but these people are not all authentic and we must always use caution...There are a lot of christians who journal and truly feel God is speaking to them, and those of us who are christian do know God does speak to us in many various ways...with God anything can happen. BUT when we are dealing with mental illness we must use caution b/c i would say most of the time its caused by the chemical imbalances in our brains.

I recall a time i used to sit and meditate/pray and i had a pad and paper handy and just started writing and it was God/Jesus speaking to me, i only did that a few times though and kept these messages. I've had a few mtgs with priests to discuss stuff, they really helped me discern some thoughts out tremendously.

Feel free to send me a private message anytime, i would love to speak to you.Smile

Post edited by: Dit, at: 11/03/2010 06:41 AM

Post edited by: Dit, at: 11/03/2010 06:46 AM

11/03/2010 10:34 AM
cassiejosh

Hi Guys thanks for all your help.. I must state I dont get them anymore, it was obviously a delusional experience as I was deeply psychotic at the time.

Thanks

Lisa

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved