MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/02/2010 11:34 AM

Medications that help with motivation?

hopeandfaith
hopeandfaith  

I am now on Celexa 20mg, Trileptal 450 mg and Pristiq 50 mg and Buspar 10mg twice a day. When they added the Pristiq a few weeks ago I am just now feeling a difference and thinking about going out shopping which I have not done in a long time.

But I am still haing motivation on getting things odne and not wanting to concentrate on anything. My paper work is piled up but still just can't get that motivation to sit down and start working through it. I just tuck it neatly away and keep saying tomorrow I will start working on it. Tomrrow I will start going through clothes and organizing them but it never seems to come.

Is there another meidcation that would be more heplful in getting that motivation? Is it just not enough time on the Pristiq? Is it still signs of depression? JUst curious if it is normal?

HopeandFaith

11/02/2010 11:44 AM
ApRiLGeTsAngry77

There is not a medication that helps with motivation. Motivation is a result of action. Lack of motivation can be a sign of depression. Medications can help with energy which may result in motivation but the best way to become motivated is just force yourself to do the action.

I have paperwork piled up and clothes that need to be folded and put away also. I find the best way to get things done is to do a little at a time. Good luck!

11/02/2010 11:54 AM
hopeandfaith
hopeandfaith  

Thanks! I am seeing little break throughs with the Pristiq and maybe I just need to give it time and then I will start to notice more changes. I can often become inpatient and think everything is going to happen overnight!

Thanks

HopeandFaith

11/02/2010 02:46 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

The only way I can get things done when I have no motivation is to make myself do them. Write out a list and mark things off as you go. Just do a little bit at a time. It will get easier and easier. My bathtub was really dirty and I ended up taking a bath. I had color in my hair from Halloween, so it turned my bathtub blue. I had to get my scrubber out and soft scrub and clean my bathtub because I had to. I couldn't leave the bathtub blue!! After I did it, I felt better. So, that got marked off of my list. You usually do feel better once you get something marked off of your list.

11/05/2010 06:02 PM
proudmami01
proudmami01  

I always had a lack of motivation that I blamed on the fact that I always felt so tired. I thought that was just from the depression. A few months ago though, my doc put me on a stimulant (Adderall) and I have been feeling amazing on it. I have energy (not tired all the time) and so I have the motivation and energy to get things done.

11/06/2010 01:14 AM
Use2be

I know what you mean about motivation and wishing it would grab ahold of me. I take wellbutrin and it gives me a little boost BUT......wellbutrin isn't for everybody. I've read that with some bipolar's it can bring on mania. I have dysthymia, a general low grade depression that is constant so the wellbutrin helps me with that.

The law of inertia is true for me....a body in motion stays in motion and a body at rest stays at rest. 20 yrs ago I was a marathon runner, not world class but I loved to jog. During those days I had energy galore. It was then I learned spending energy creates energy.

Jim

11/06/2010 01:32 AM
feathersla
feathersla  

I also have severe lack of energy ~

It's really hard and frustrating .

11/06/2010 08:54 AM
eawaters04

Lack of motivation can be a sign of depression. However, I agree with what's already been said about doing a little bit at a time. Maybe try to think of a reward for yourself for when you get a little bit acomplished.

I can relate to lack of motivation because I also have ADHD in addition to being bipolar I. The Adderall I take really helps with that, but it's not for everyone--especially if you're not completely stable because it can bring on a quick manic or mixed episode since it's a stimulant.

11/06/2010 11:43 AM
mimmy
mimmy  

I have the same problem. I'll want to do somthing fun, or even a chore, and I'll talk myself out of it. "oh I'll get too tired and not finish.' or "there's not enough time beofre 'this' happens" or ' I bet i'll get interupted by a phone call" or "what if I do it wrong and mess it up?" i miss out on alot because of all these little mind games I have going on. totally zaps my motivation. I just realized what I was doing when I read this thread..another goal for me and my therapist I guess.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved