MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/31/2010 10:44 AM

Is hypomanic creativity real?

randomeddie
randomeddie  

I've been doing a great deal of writing lately (I'm working on two books about addiction and bp disorder) and I've found that a lot of what I write when hypomanic seems to go a bit 'rambly'. Needless to say, I'm having to make tons of revisions if not complete deletions. Does anyone else have this problem?

10/31/2010 11:08 AM
Lisacomisa
LisacomisaPosts: 903

I am far more creative and confident when hypomanic. I paint more and it comes out pretty good. I think if I were a writer I would ramble though.

10/31/2010 12:15 PM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I am more creative for sure, but I can sometimes ramble. Even if I don't, I really don't do my best writing then even if I am convinced I am. I sometimes have to go beyond editing and rewrite.

10/31/2010 12:15 PM
randomeddie
randomeddie  

I seem to do my best work when manic but it's frustrating to think that I can't do as well when I'm feeling 'medicated'...

10/31/2010 01:14 PM
dizzyb
dizzyb  
VIP Member

I've lost my ability to write since I've been "stable". I don't have that burning passion and creativity toward my work that I had before. It's sad really. But, as you say, when I'm hypomanic I ramble but it's only in my journal. Then again I hardly get that "up and happy" feeling anymore Ermm ho hum ...

10/31/2010 07:00 PM
randomeddie
randomeddie  

I'm sorry to hear that dizzy. At first I felt the same way, but after forcing myself to complete a few 'creative chores' I found that my inspiration would come even without the mania. Don't give up your art...

11/02/2010 09:11 AM
Lisacomisa
LisacomisaPosts: 903

Random forcing yourself works? I am in such a creative rut I blame it on being medicated. What worked for you? Please share. thanks

11/02/2010 10:33 AM
Daisy83
Daisy83  

I have to admit that I'm the same way and actually, one of the reasons I would stop taking medications years ago was b/c it seemed to hinder my creativity (creative writing). I'm not stable now though and still unable to write. I have also tried a few creative exercises, but cant seem to get focus. I think thats more from the depression though. It certainly is interesting to see other creative geniuses in the same boat Smile

02/07/2012 06:15 AM
jamminjan

I think it is. Although, like you, I tend to edit, delete, etc while writing. Sometimes setting it aside for a while helps. If you are creative, keep it up. A lot of us are artists. I just started using pastels, which I have never done. I like my new stuff enough to show friends. The things we create may be better than we think they are.

As for writing specifically, it is hard. I used to free write, not edit while doing it, then go back and find a few things that are really good and write around them.

Hope this helps.

02/07/2012 06:22 AM
imatourist
imatourist  

I love to paint and draw. I find myself not being able to complete what I had originally intended from the day that I started it.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved