MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/19/2010 07:29 PM

Paranoid Thoughts

zeetie
zeetie  

Hello,

I have recently been having paranoid thinking about several things and it is very, very scary. I have an appointment with my therapist tomorrow afternoon.

Little things have come up in the past, but nothing so large and overpowering before.

If anyone has or is currently dealing with this please respond. Tell me what it's like, how you deal with it, any information you have found from docs as to why/what causes it, medications pdocs have prescribed, etc.

Thanks,

Elizabeth Unsure

10/19/2010 07:53 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I'm very sorry you are having these thoughts that are disturbing to you. I don't have any experience with this, but it really sounds like you need to call your psychiatrist to get in to see him very soon.

10/20/2010 12:39 AM
greenskyz

I feel for you. I wish i had better advise, or something more encouraging to say. I've been having some paranoid thoughts too, but i don't know my pdoc very well and don't trust him yet. I did, however, talk to my counselor about them. it did make me feel better to get them out there and not just have them spinning around in my head. I have a very understanding counselor who makes me feel like she "gets me" even though i think no one else ever will understand my craziness. after i talked to her about it, i felt like a weight was lifted off of me. So, maybe if you do talk to your doc about it, you will have some relief even if it is temporary.

10/20/2010 01:14 AM
Use2be

Those paranoid feelings I've had in the past really do suck. Mine are usually about wondering if people really like me or are just merely tolerating me. Wondering if my neighbors think I am an attribute to the neighborhood or just that crazy guy who we should just say Hi to and not get too close to. Fortunately for me those kinds of thoughts are relatively few and far between.

It probably comes down to an inferiority or feeling less than kind of thing. I used to play drums in rock and/or blues bands back in Calif. One time I joined a band which had a following and the players were good. I replaced the drummer they had after an audition. I had a great time during our gigs and had several people flatter me after shows but when it came to rehearsals or the band getting together after a gig I felt that I was an outsider or that they wish their old drummer had stuck around.

It really got to bugging me so I called the lead guitarist and asked if they thought I was as good as their last drummer. He said yeah and then gave me a mini lecture about being paranoid. Then I felt worse wondering if he told the other guys. yikes

How to stop having those paranoid thoughts? Maybe it comes down to having trust in myself and others and realizing they are doing the best they can and that they are simply trying to be good people. It's a work in progress for me.

Jim

Post edited by: Use2be, at: 10/20/2010 06:43 AM

10/20/2010 03:37 AM
chaudoin
chaudoin  

I am so sorry this is happening to you. I can relate to you I've struggles with this too. To the point that I have very few friends and I worry to much about what people including my family think about me. I hate it. I hope it gets better for you. Maybe you should talk to your pdoc. I know I plan to myself.

10/20/2010 04:14 AM
Jazzmary
Jazzmary  

i have slight OCD so i take paxil for it. only therapy, meds and cognitive therapy helped me.

10/21/2010 04:07 AM
amanderpants
amanderpants  

Ahh yes paranoia. How to separate the natural and legitimate paranoia of the internet/computer/electronic age from the bi-polar paranoia? I've been dealing with a fair amount of bi-polar paranoia these past few months. I haven't been able to take the right amount of medication because it's too expensive. I'm forced to take it sparingly and this is not enough to completely eliminate the symptoms. I guess my advice to you is: TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. Eat well, exercise, meditate/pray, breathe, talk to people you trust about it, don't drink or smoke pot, and stay on forums like this one. Also, don't be embarrassed by your thoughts...think of them as windows to another realm and a great opportunity for creativity.

10/21/2010 06:38 AM
Lisacomisa
LisacomisaPosts: 903

I was presribed Geodon for this. It worked.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved