MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/24/2008 09:20 AM

Bipolar Friend - is this common

Just4me

I have a good friend who is going through a bunch of stuff in her life. She is divorcing after 27 years of marriage, facing prison time for a white collar crime, and in the process trying to rebuild her relationship with her family. She is staying with me (I offered)until she goes to prison, but she is constantly lying to me about various things. She lies about the smallest unimportant things.. then sometimes lies about where she is going or who she is with. Is this normal in bipolar people? I can NOT stand a liar and I am trying to make a desicion on this but I want to know whether it is "normal". She is on medication however becuase of lack of insurance she doesn't take them daily and we often argue because she doesn't take it correctly.

Thanks for the comments...

Just4me

10/24/2008 09:23 AM
ThisBlows
ThisBlowsPosts: 1467

Oh yeah, I get that all the time.

10/24/2008 09:38 AM
jritchie
jritchie  
VIP Member

I'm bipolar and I don't lie. Something I can't stand is a liar. In fact, I'm probably too upfront.

10/24/2008 09:41 AM
ThisBlows
ThisBlowsPosts: 1467

Im pretty sure that my situation is just that... my situation. But I see it all the time. About stupid stuff lol.

10/24/2008 09:46 AM
jasonguyyeah
jasonguyyeahPosts: 290

Being bipolar doesn't make you a liar, it's a personal choice.

10/24/2008 09:46 AM
belinda1217

I'm an Advocate

j ritchie,

We have a lot in common.

I may not be Bi polar but I can't stand a liar.

I'm very blunt about things like my epilepsy.

If someone can't handle my seizures they can't handle me most ppl like my bluntness.

Belinda

10/24/2008 09:52 AM
Just4me

I hate that she lies. it is to anyone and anytime. It seems like she goes through times that is happens almost in sync with her moods. That is mainly why I was wondering. I guess I'm trying to give her an excuse because I am such an honest person and expect that from those around me.

Thanks for the insight.

10/24/2008 10:45 AM
Arual001
Arual001  
VIP Member

i really think the lying is a seperate, yet comorbid, issue from bipolar. it's that some liars are bipolar, not that bipolars are liars. i actually have terrible anxiety if i lie. lol. so you can be sure i don't do it. lol

10/24/2008 11:01 AM
zinnia
zinniaPosts: 3990
VIP Member

in my opinion, lying isn't something people do because they're bipolar, but when you're not taking your meds or doing other things you've promised the people who are helping you, lying can be the easy way out. i'm not a liar and i'm bp. no matter what, unless she's psychotic, she knows right from wrong. maybe you should confront her with this??? i don't know...

10/24/2008 11:05 AM
Just4me

In my observation up to this point I have seen that she is so adiment in doing what she wants that she will tell anyone anything. It seems to be worse when she is going through a depressed state. I have tried to understand bipolar, and the circumstances so that I don't ask her to move out when she is truely not doing these disrespectful things intentionally.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved