MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/05/2010 01:21 PM

Depression

chaudoin
chaudoin  

I was diagnosed Bipolar a year ago, before that I was told I was just depressed. Seems like I am still depressed. Does anyone else deal with this on a regular basis?

10/05/2010 01:29 PM
mom2meg
mom2meg  

I have periods where it seems like I have breakthrough depression but I try and get that out of my mind as soon as possible because I hate being depressed more then anything. You may want to talk to your doctor and tell him or her how you are feeling.

10/05/2010 01:31 PM
staticfate
staticfate  

Before I got my diagnosis and started treatment I was depressed for about a year. I spent a few months manic before that, but I had a very long bout of depression.

If you are still suffering from depression that will not go away you should talk to your doctor about it and possibly get your medicine adjusted. Make sure you are very clear about how you have been feeling and for how long. You dont have to live like this. There is help out there.

10/05/2010 01:37 PM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi and welcome. Like yourself i was diagnosed for a number of yrs with depression, and also anxiety too. My meds worked well for quite a few yrs was high-functioning, but there was a time shortly after having my two children where i suffered i suffered more depression. My psychiatrist (pdoc) would often say whenever i complained is that he did not worry about depression and was more worried about when i would get hyper or "wired" as he often called it (i think i was hypomanic too). This was very frusterating for me, my husband recalls a lot of times i'd go to bed and complained a lot about having no energy, lack of interest in anything, etc.

Anyway i finally got diagnosed with having Bipolar, this was such a relief for me because now i know where these lows are coming from and when they do come they last maybe anywhere from one to four days. The past 2 yrs i've been having more highs, i think some of this could be my age, i think i could be pre-menopausal, but i don't mind the highs as long as they don't last too too long and i don't get the negative symptoms like restlessness and irritation etc., i have meds to take when needed an anti-anxiety called Klonopin.

Wishing you well, i come here daily and no longer feel alone and i've made some really good friends here, also i've learned so much about this illness and can now cope a lot better when having these lows and highs. Feel free to private message me (pm) anytime.

10/05/2010 01:48 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi and welcome. Depression is no fun and I have lived with it my whole life. It's gotten worse over the years. I was diagnosed in 1999 with depression then correctly diagnosed with bipolar in 2009. I got put on a mood stabilizer and an anti-psychotic at first and I was still depressed. He added Lexapro and it took my depression away. I am so thankful for that. Are you on an antidepressant? If you are, maybe you need a different one. Also, you need to be on a mood stabilizer when taking antidepressants when you have bipolar. It can push you into mania. Please call your doctor and let him know how you are feeling. You may need an adjustment to your medication. I hope you like it here as much as I do. There is so much support. Enjoy!

10/05/2010 03:25 PM
mem7478

Hi there and welcome.Smile

10/05/2010 03:28 PM
chaudoin
chaudoin  

Thanks to everyone for your posts. It's nice to know I am not alone. Especially being a new member. You all seem great!

10/05/2010 03:35 PM
Lisacomisa
LisacomisaPosts: 903

I sometimes still get some breakthrough depression but my medication has really made my episodes less frequent. I would tell my doctor if it is frequent you shouldn't have to suffer like that.

Post edited by: Lisacomisa, at: 10/05/2010 03:36 PM

10/05/2010 05:25 PM
terascot123
terascot123  

I suffer from breakthrough moods, and didn't really understand that was what was happening. I just though my meds weren't working at all. Now I know that being bipolar doesn't always mean a complete remission, and that it is often a continous experiment with various medications.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved