MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/07/2008 11:50 AM

Why wnont the doctor prescribe my gf anything?

russx

My longterm girlfriend has been diagnosed with bipolar. She has recently moved into a flat by herself after she got kicked out of her mothers house. She has been drinking excessive alcohol for a couple years but did appear to have cut down in the recent months.

She is currently getting 6x free sessions with a pyschotherapist (because she works for the council)but after that she will have to pay £30 each session which she/we cannot afford. She says the doctor wont prescribe her anything for bipolar.

Since she's moved into her flat, everything seems to be worse. One day she says she loves me and never to leave her, the next she turns her mobile phone off and wont answer the door for a couple days. Then she tells me we are finished, then I see her and she acts like nothing has happened even though she tore my heart out a couple days ago. I drove her to collect more stuff from her mums house then after we got back to her place she just kept making sarky comments for no reason while I was helping setup her dvd player. I ended up walking out again, now shes cut me off again.

I'm scared the times she cuts herself off she may do something stupid.

I'm double scared when she stops having free sessions with the pyschotherapist that this nitemare is going to be 10x worse.

Why won't the doctor help and prescribe her something?

10/07/2008 12:17 PM
QuietDesperation
QuietDesperation  

Hi Russ,

I'm so sorry the two of you are going through this. I can tell you love her very much. Stick with her even when it seems like she doesn't want you, she REALLY needs you. I don't know why the doctor won't treat her?? I really don't know anything about healthcare over there but here we have clinics that will see you even if you can't pay. Is there anything like that available to you?

QD

10/07/2008 12:18 PM
Diane1970
Diane1970Posts: 142

russx , welcome to the group You may have to find another doc or she will have to insist that he does .

10/07/2008 12:43 PM
justrembering
pirateprincess421  
VIP Member

Some doctors are only therapists and can't prescribe anything. You need to see a pdoc.

10/07/2008 12:51 PM
trishy
Trishy  
VIP Member

You need to see a pdoc for the meds they are qualified to give the right ones for bp. Justremembering is right a therapist can not prescribe the meds.

10/07/2008 12:58 PM
russx

She tells me 2 different General doctors(GP, not the therapist) won't prescribe her anything, but I don't know if she's telling me the truth.

She says the therepy helps but I find it ridiculas how something that could end up costing her life isn't available for free, especially when she can now too easily locks herself in away from the outside world.

She also has asthma (also has to pay for the inhalers) so whether that is the reason she can't get anything prescribed I dont know.

I think my only option is talk to my own doctor for advice. I have a feeling that when she talks to her own doctor he/she isnt getting the whole story.

I have only learnt about bipolar the last couple of weeks, since she told me she had it, and im still learning how the sarckyness, snapping, lying, drinking can be down to the bipolar.

Post edited by: russx, at: 10/07/2008 13:00

10/07/2008 01:01 PM
justrembering
pirateprincess421  
VIP Member

Drinking is not good when bp. It adds to the mania/depression. Is there a way to get her to stop. She is just self-medicating at this point. But it's not the answer. Maybe you could go with to one of the sessions with her or at least the pdoc. Asthma has nothing to do with bp.

10/07/2008 01:02 PM
trishy
Trishy  
VIP Member

I have never seen a pdoc that would not prescribe med if you are bp.

10/07/2008 01:17 PM
russx

She won't let me go with her to see the therapist. She keeps most of the things that she discusses a secret from me.

The medication she is taking for asthma is maybe why she can't be prescribed something for bp cuase of side effects, i don't know. I'll have to find out.

I did read today about a rash you can get from bp medication. My gf showed me 2 pink spot rashes a few days ago that she had on either sides of her stomach. I told her to go see doctor about it.

Sometimes I just don't believe eveything shes telling me.

10/07/2008 01:46 PM
glory
glory  
VIP Member

russex. You are surely being lied to. I have lung disease and use every inhaler there is. I also take my psych drugs. No reaction. If no psych drugs are prescribed, how could she get a rash from one?? Do you take her to see her, "Doctor"?? I doubt she is even going to one if you don't deliver her. You are wise not to believe her.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved