MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/04/2008 08:23 AM

I have a question

ceegee
ceegee  

I have a chance to go back to college and I have been to college before but I was unmedicated and didn't take it serous and my grades were terrible and I also owe a balance to the school. but now I am ready for school and i really need to go back to school so that I can get a job with benefits! now my problem is that I don't want to tell the new school about the other college because I can't get my transcripts and i really don't want them to see the transcripts anyway... if I had the money I would pay the balance but I don't have the money or even a job right now. my student loans are in deferrment for hardship. my question is if i don't tell them about the other college could they find out? I know its probably wrong not to tell but I am desparate and I have this last chance at some kind of life.

10/04/2008 08:33 AM
Arual001
Arual001  
VIP Member

i had the exact same situation! i am now in grad school and my transcripts from like 10 years ago are ridiculous, a semester of A's, a semester of F's, a medical withdrawl, etc. In my essay i addressed this briefly as i was immature and have grown since then and take my academic career very seriously now, etc. i think you have to tell them about these other schools?

10/04/2008 08:39 AM
norma
normaPosts: 10109
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

First of all. Good idea about going back to college, Ceegee. If you don't tell them about the other college they may find out. Some colleges will let you make a choice about grades and whether you want to start at 0. I had some bad grades from being unstable when I was younger, but it was under 30 hours. I went back in my 30's when I was more stable and it took me a few semesters to bring the grades up. It can be done...if I can do it anyone can. I just worked my rear end off...

As for the student loans, contact the admissions office of the college in which you want to enroll. Make an appointment to talk to an advisor and just tell the truth about your situation. The truth is always the best way to go, dear. It usually comes out eventually. Remember colleges make money by enrolling people, not keeping them out. So, chances are there is a way for you to go back and finish school.

10/04/2008 08:45 AM
ceegee
ceegee  

the problem i have then .. I owe a the school and they won't release my transcripts and I don't have the money to pay them...

10/04/2008 08:48 AM
ceegee
ceegee  

I think I have really screwed myself

10/04/2008 08:49 AM
Arual001
Arual001  
VIP Member

not at all.... loans baby. hello debt! but it's worth it because you're investing in yourself... an excellent investment!

10/04/2008 08:50 AM
norma
normaPosts: 10109
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Set up a payment plan. Even if it is a few dollars a month. Regular payments are better than none at all...even if it is $20...shows your willingness to pay. Call them and explain the situation. I know it is difficult sometimes, but taking care of old business like this, keeps from having problems in the future.

10/04/2008 08:51 AM
ceegee
ceegee  

I have set up the payment plan but they still will not release the transcripts

10/04/2008 09:09 AM
Arual001
Arual001  
VIP Member

i am so far in debt for school it really amazes me... so many years were a total waste but i still paid for them! i guess you have to pay it off before they will release them eh?

10/04/2008 09:14 AM
ceegee
ceegee  

yep so I'm screwed... i dont know what to do...

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved