MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/25/2010 05:56 PM

Whiny Rant, Need to VENT!!!

RitaCeleste
RitaCeleste  

I'm whiny and crying off and on. Thinking about my childhood and the ways I am doing things from my parents for my kids. Ran into someone on the autism board yesterday who is making very different choices that I would and I upset them. I was a bit hard because they were anti meds for autistic kids and my oldest is autistic and bipolar. I take meds, everybody here takes meds and the world is a better place all the way around for it! Well, so long as the meds are working. Gotta start somewhere. Can't stand people who say, "I'd never give my kids meds" then they take an aspirin for their headache, a vitamin for bad knees and throw in some birth-control pills and spoon an arm load of supplements out. For real, I know these meds can be hard on a body, but so is untreated bipolar! I should have been diplomatic. I like to be liked too much and care too much what other people think sometimes. Instead I was harsher than I meant to be. I kinda suggested she go all the way and become a christian scientist. And maybe a few other things I could of should of left unsaid. My parents were anti-med, just "suck it up", "smile until you feel it" kind of people. I want people to be open enough to the possibilities to be able to meet any needs their child might have. I wanted to share my bad experience growing up like that rather than just be a cheerleader and go along. The wrong meds can be horrible, the right ones can make you believe you really are normal though. You can feel normal, not just pretend for people who really wish you were normal. There!!! Got it out of my system finally. I was afraid of meds at first, but we are all doing so much better because of them. It didn't even take a lot meds for us, just finding the right ones. Now that took awhile, but was worth it.

07/25/2010 06:14 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Medications really are a Godsend. I'm sorry you got carried away over there in that other group. I hope you apologized to the person. I strongly believe in medications for mental illnesses because there is a chemical imbalance in our brains. Therefore we need chemicals to balance us out. You definitely can feel normal while on medications. I agree about the whole aspirin, vitamin, birth control things. Those are still medications. I think that people just aren't open to medications or don't want anything in their kid's bodies that could harm them. I can see their point, but being a first hand user of medications, I'd have to disagree. I hope this vent made you feel much better.

07/25/2010 06:22 PM
dogdown51
dogdown51  

Yes, it's sad people can b so closed minded n not educated to our illness. That's good u r sticking to your guns. U go girl Take care

07/25/2010 06:23 PM
RitaCeleste
RitaCeleste  

I did try. I did apologize and explain that all our children are UNIQUE and every parent on the boards is making different choices. That my experience with meds was a good one. I told them I could definitely understand using them as a last resort because of the side-effects and things. I just didn't want her to let her bias against meds prevent her meeting a possible need. I wanted her to know that didn't work on me. I was sharing a bit of my life. I asked if she had room in her world for people who made different choices and she never said a word.

07/25/2010 06:26 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Sounds like she is very closed minded then. It's sad for her child then. Medications really do help, I guess she just didn't want to listen to you. I'm glad you got it off your chest!

07/25/2010 06:37 PM
RitaCeleste
RitaCeleste  

I think about how much better my life would have been if I had of gotten help instead of trying to hide my problem. All that work to pretend and hide and all the mistakes I made when I was up and regretted so hard when I was down. You wish you could make people see we can act normal and be like everybody else with a little help. What I really wish is to go back in time machine and get myself meds in high-school! If they were against all meds it would be easier to swallow. But they aren't against all meds, just the ones we NEED!

07/25/2010 06:47 PM
jennywren
jennywrenPosts: 3166

Rita:" Ran into someone on the autism board yesterday who is making very different choices that I would and I upset them. I was a bit hard because they were anti meds for autistic kids and my oldest is autistic and bipolar"

Boy I can sure relate to what you have said on the Autism forum. You are quite right to be hard. Well that is what I believe.

It is indeed a great shame that people will not use conventional meds. But rather search for the "cure" that will fix up their relations or their problems. They may well be trying to take control of the diorder and may not accept believe that the person has the disorder.

The problem with this kind of person, is one, which I regard as VERY distructive, It is that this gives a very bad repution to those of us who use meds, and who do have a disorder.

And to cap it all off, they "know" herbal etc treaments work. Well then they encourage the general public that we are just looking for attention if we claim to have some disorder. And the disorder does not exist. Herbs will cure it. Well yes.

Then to cap it off again they diagnose themselves as having some disorder. Which they may or may not have. They do not go to a medical professional for a diagonsis.

You see this all over the place, ie natual cures for ADHD, etc. Natural cures for ADHD do not exist. Same would apply to Bipolar Disorder. Mind you I have no come across many who "imagine" they have it. Well one possibly.

There is only one disorder that I know off, well my knowledge of disorders is not extensive, and that is Celiac Disease where the the suffer has to keep off gluten. None are allowed, not even a crumb of gluten containing food. This is a life long diet: the diet does not cure Celica Disease, just keeps the symptoms at bay and stops further damage which can be serious. At this time there is no cure, or medical treatment.

I have recently been diagonsised to suffer from it. ie have the gene and upper endoscopy show the damage of gluten on the surface of my small bowel. Confirmed by pathology. ie there are scienfic tests for it.

So who believes I have it? ie the ones I have told. Not one of them even my sister cannot believe I have the disease. And I showed her a photo of the damage to my bowel which the gatrologist was kind enough to take. Mind you I still have not accepted it. But am sticking to the diet. This non acceptance bit is common ie grief. I cried all day the day after I was given the diagonsis from the gastrologist. Sad

Thus now when I seach for gluten free meals when out, I am looked at like I am some sort of idiot who is seeking attention. Now why is this? Well because of those who do not have the disease medically making a first class fuss when out. Or at home for that matter.

Well some with a "problem" can and do make a great fuss about it.

We with Bipolar are regarded by the general public in a very poor light Sad

Think that I can rightly say I have not come across anyone in the Bipolar Support Forum, who has imaged they have Bipolar Disorder.

Sorry this is a bit long, well a lot long.

Jennywren

Post edited by: jennywren, at: 07/25/2010 06:48 PM

07/25/2010 07:28 PM
RitaCeleste
RitaCeleste  

I've done GFCF and can only think you would be able to a buffets with veggies or salads when out. In my experience the cooking at home was best. Avoiding going places where people expect you eat socially are big plus. I was on Atkins mostly on for about two years. Recipes from there can be gluten free but often have dairy. Did you know turkeys are shot up with wheat??? You have to get the natural non basted ones! The stuff that has wheat in it is amazing. Canned soup, forget it. I loved my crock pot. Every morning I'd start soup and eat on it then cook something else for dinner. Might even have some left for the next day.

I wanted to draw Gabby out and get to know her. I did feel bad because I couldn't run out and buy everything out there for her. But she made progress and grew and developed without any of the treatments that claimed she was doomed without. Partly I just feel sorry for the people who have that hope of a cure and then have it ripped away after after trying trying and trying. I think the worst are the ones that think trained is cured and believe and tell others it works wonders when their kid was higher functioning. And kids make leaps forward as well as back just as a natural part of how they grow and mature. People are running around giving credit where it isn't due and good people get taken in. But Gabby wasn't doomed because I wasn't rich. She got where she is with me working with her, then help from the public school system. She went from smearing poo on the walls to high functioning, no cure involved. She could be one of those before and after videos. She made her own miracles. I helped but she was determined. No one told me that could happen.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved