MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/23/2010 03:45 AM

Weight loss during manic episode

Young47
Young47Posts: 163

Told by others that my ex bp husband has lost a ton of weight in a short amount of time and looks horrible. Has also made some very poor decisions recently, like moving out of his sister's and moving into a house of someone he works with, all without so much as a word to anyone in his family about it. He was just up and gone one day. Trying to figure out if his manic episode is just about ready to peter out, or just reving up... Does this sound like anything you have experienced in a manic episodes? And, if so, where in the episode did it occur? Beginning, middle, end? As always, thanks for your help.

06/23/2010 06:33 AM
shaz66
shaz66  

I am sorry that I can't help you. I hope someone else on this site will have an answer for you. I just wanted to reply, because that may be a question no one can answer.

06/23/2010 08:05 AM
Young47

Thanks Shaz for your reply... hoping someone can help give us some direction here.

06/23/2010 08:15 AM
cptblack
cptblack  
VIP Member

It's a puzzler to me. If he is of legal age he can 'just up and move', but social mores say you tell the people you are leaving. Bipolar is like an ocean of mixxed nuts and you have a 100 foot long handled spoon: you never know just what your going to get! Just like every person is unique, each Bipolar survivor is unique. Maybe a more experienced person who has been through this can help more.

The weight loss? Probably not eating. Never see Superman leaning on a lamp post munching a hot dog or sitting down to a fine meal, and when I was manic I WAS Superman!

I'd guess he's still somewhere way up in LaaLaa Land, and the crash (if and/or when it comes) will be a real train wreck. But read my disclaimer.

Post edited by: cptblack, at: 06/23/2010 08:18 AM

06/23/2010 08:36 AM
bipolar

Hi Young47, since everyone is unique I think your question on the bipolar spectrum would be difficult for even a psychiatrist to determine. You are clearly worried about him and have obviously been extremely close with him in your life...In my opinion, yes stress/anxiety/mania can lead to rapid weight loss. Things people say can get really twisted through the grapevine. If I could put myself in his shoes it sounds like he is trying to make some changes in his life (I love my brothers but I'm not sure I would love to live with them again in the same house in life-is that a bad decision?) and maybe you could help as a friend in his support network by reaching out to him. I find comfort in understanding. I've had people telling me or talking about me for years what I should and shouldn't do to be "normal". Sometimes everyone needs privacy and their own safe space and control over their life and decisions to think through change and options/what to do. We all need supportive friends. Maybe just try to talk or send him a letter/email 1:1 instead of hearing about what he is doing or just wondering, trying to keep him feeling centered and not trying to isolate/cut out the people close to him in life and achieve a mind/body healthy balance FIRST regarding dealing overwhelming issues in life. Be aware that you may be a "trigger" for him so try to give him your honest well intentioned unselfish help during his difficult time of change and try to focus on how he is seeing himself right now or what things in life he is impatient about needing to change or action plans and preventing mistakes. Hope you find this post perspective helpful.

06/23/2010 08:58 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I'm thinking the reason he is losing weight is due to him not eating. It sounds like he's also not taking care of himself. I have picked up and moved before without a word to the friend I lived with. The reason I did is because I didn't like my living situation and felt uncomfortable. Maybe that could be a reason. I hope he starts to care about himself soon so he can get his life straightened out. Stay strong. Hugs

06/23/2010 11:39 AM
Young47

Thanks all, again your replies were most helpful. According to his family, they have found out that he has moved in with the "town drunk", so the train wreck (great descipt. cpt, love the SUPERMAN, too!)looks like it will come sooner than later, as he is already self-medicating to the max, and now out of his sister's home and living with an alcoholic, there will be no reason to rein himself in. We as a group have decided to use gentle persuasion in the form of texting and voicemail to hopefully get him to see he needs help. Fingers crossed.

Post edited by: Young47, at: 06/23/2010 11:43 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved