MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/21/2010 11:45 PM

Bipolar side effects

NcBill

All,

It has been 2 years since I was diagnosed with Bi polar type 2. For me every day is a challenge. Even with medication, my personality is hard to accept by the general population. I seem arogant and lack self esteem. I have a short term memory issue where I forget the simplest things.

I am on a nice chemical coctail which keeps my bipolar in somewhat check. For the last 2 years I experience neutral aggression but seem to just have lows, never highs.

I suffer from some other malaodies which I prefer not to discuss at this time which keeps me from enjoying sex to the fullest with my partner.

I just need to find out if there is anyone out there that has the same issue and is willing to discuss this with me. I feel alone most of the time. I have a understanding wife but she is at her wits end with me and my 4 year old son tells me he hates me from time to time. (Never pretty)

HELP I want to get better mentally but dont know where to start. My psyc continues to change my meds, but I am getting tired of trying new things to see if i can balance.

I suffer from racing thoughts, although she put me on lithium 150 morning and evening, which helps, I cant stop having negative thoughts and constantly reliving things in my past which are negative thoughts from my untreated bi-polar past.

CAN SOMEONE HELP POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. I AM OPEN TO JUST ABOUT ANYTHING AT THIS POINT

Sad

06/22/2010 10:34 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Welcome to the group!! As far as medications go, I don't think you have found the right combination yet considering how you feel. Be patient, I know it's hard, but there are many medications out there now and you'll get the right mix eventually. It just takes time.

Have you tried giving your wife some information on bipolar? I would print some out on the internet to give to read. She may be more understanding after that. I'm sorry your son says he hates you at times. It's his reaction to the bipolar in my opinion. He doesn't know how to react, he's only 4 years old.

Meeting people is hard, and we get taken the wrong way a lot of the time. When you are down, it's especially hard to communicate with people. Try to keep your thoughts in check. Dealing with your past, I would recommend that you get a therapist to help you work out these problems.

You have come to the right place for support. Everyone is very understanding and compassionate. Feel free to post on your experiences and questions. You will learn a lot from others experiences. I wish you to feel better soon. Stay strong. Hugs

06/22/2010 11:06 AM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Your symptoms are not unusual for people who have bipolar. Meds should be able to help diminish them, i hope yor psychioatrist (pdoc) can find the right mix. Keep telling him all your sypmtoms.

I think Joy has a good suggestion, to go to a therapist, over the years when i had high stesses i would get one and they would work with my on a lot of relationship issues, and also behaviours that i had that i did not like, and also assisted me with stuff i had trouble letting go of (past events).

Wishing you wellness.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved