MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/17/2010 04:43 AM

Minor Surgery Today(guys you won't be interested)

moodygrl83
moodygrl83  

Yep. Thursday is the day, its finally here. But why do I feel mixed emotions about this minor surgery? It's not like its one of those things you have to do, its the other kind of thing where you make the choice to do it. I'll just be straight up this a "woman's health issue" but I feel it also applies here. So this minor surgery is to have Implanon put in my arm. The reason I'm having mixed feelings is because I want a baby, but I know I'm not stable enough to go through pregnancy or ready to face being a single mom. Yeah its depressing because the majority of my friends in the same age range as me have kids and are married. The other thing is that my sister (she's like 19 months older than me) just had a baby boy in April. So when my sister had the baby we all went to the hospital and waited in the waiting room to hear that she had delivered him. OK I have seen newborns---but never this "new" and they weren't family either. So I was excited to meet this little guy, but the reaction I had was unexpected. It was 10 minutes after the birth that we all saw him for the first time, for me it was really emotional. I went to the "warming station" and there he was, and I don't know if this was part of the bipolar emerging or if it was a maternal instinct kind of thing. I broke down and cried for at least 2 minutes straight. And then in May I had a "scare" and we'll just leave at that for now. So here it is in June that after all of this stuff has transpired that I'm going to do this. Let me explain the benefit of Implanon, say I meet the right guy and we date for a bit and then we get engaged. Then marriage comes, and after that well the next obvious thing for most people is to have a baby. So heres where the benefit kicks in, Implanon can only stay in your arm for 3 yrs max. If you want it removed after only a year then yeah they will remove it (or after anytime less than 3 yrs) because eventually they will have to remove it anyways. This should be interesting considering I will be wide awake with no sedative but I will get a numbing shot. Then to top it all off I have my psych doctor tonight. Ugh being a woman is not easy sometimes! Sorry if some of this was TMI for the guys but hey I gave fair warning in the title. Wish me good luck and I'll most likely post again tonightSmile

Stacy

06/17/2010 05:36 AM
shaz66
shaz66  

It's always a good decision to use birth control until you decide it's time to have a baby. Smart thinking on your part.

06/17/2010 10:10 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Very smart thinking, it's very important to have birth control until you actually want to have that baby. Mine was unplanned and it threw me for a loop. It's nice you got to see your sister's baby so new. It's ok to get emotional over that. You want a baby eventually and it could be a maternal thing. You have feelings going on and it's a new family member. It's all tied together.

I would be a little nervous about the implantation also, but I think it will go very smoothly for you and be done in no time. I hope you find a partner that you feel you would want to marry and have children with. You will eventually, be patient. I wish you luck with your psychiatrist tonight. Stay strong. Hugs

06/17/2010 11:59 AM
puzzlinZin
puzzlinZin  

Try not to fret over others and their life circumstances. It's so easy to compare yourself to someone else. Easy to end up short that way. I do it too, so I know it's much easier said than done. I do it really really bad when it comes to education and career. I try to stick to what is best for me. I couldn't handle the career I want right now, and I certainly couldn't handle a kid. Remember it's not permanent, not like a hysterectomy for sure. Good luck with your surgery. I had a cyst removed from my leg where they just numbed the area. Was totally weird that I was awake, didn't feel a thing, then had a hole in my leg. Was a first for me...

06/17/2010 04:17 PM
dogdown51
dogdown51  

It's sounds like u want something u can't have right now. Maybe this is not the time. The BC is a very smart choice. You r getting your life straight before u bring another human being into this world which is very responsible on your part. All babies r beautiful and most young women fantasize about having one that's normal and some day u will b a great mother. Take care

06/17/2010 04:44 PM
moodygrl83
moodygrl83  

Well the "implant" went very well. The doctor gave me a quick shot of Linicane to numb it up and that was like a bad bee sting. But before all of that she cleaned the area on with the stuff they use to clean a stomach off for a c-section. After the shot, she draped my arm with this draping paper and it had a hole in it for the cleaned area to be in. So the nurse is in the room the whole time and all of the sudden I see what looks like a box cutter to me, I was whoa hold up whats that? She said it was the scapel. So as she was making the incision she asked did I feel anything, and I replied no and trust me I would have made it very obvious if I had. So next the "Implanon" was taken out of the box and I don't know how to describe what it looked like because it had a lid on it. So I let it go at that. She said I was going to feel some pressure, I remember a little pressure but also feeling like I felt a click, but then it was a over a minute later. To make things more interesting she asked immediately after it had been placed if I took Advil, I was like for headaches yes, and the nurse told me to take Ibuprofen an hour before my surgery/procedure was due to start at. She used a roll of gauze and taped the incision shut (kind of surprising that I didn't get a stitch). She said I was already bruising and I was thinking well I hope this goes away by next weekend because I'm going to the beach for a week. Now part of my upper arm is wrapped in gauze until 3pm tomorrow. All in all it wasn't that bad, best part is it takes effect in 48 hrs. And the psych doc went fine, I'm actually stablizing somewhat so thats good news. Smile

06/17/2010 07:19 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I'm glad to hear it all went well. Sounds like it's big to me, the implant, but it can't be that big since it went into your arm. Be good and take care of it. That's fast for it to take effect, nice. Nice to know your psychiatrist appointment went well. Good news all around. Hugs

06/17/2010 07:57 PM
harobed
harobed  

I am very impressed that you wieghed your options - what was best for you in the long run - and made a wise decision for you. That takes a lot of guts - the sign that your mental health is working for your best interests.

Good luck and when you are ready to have that baby that you will love more than your own life and that you can then fully take care of him or her I know you'll be a great mom.

H.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved