MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/06/2010 05:13 AM

Pregnant and Meds

TenaceFemme
TenaceFemme  

Ok so i have manicly or deppresively wounnd up pregnant lol. Anyway so here I am pregnant, Alcoholic father wont contact me! But the big question is can I do this? I am currently taking Neurotin and klonipin. They keep me ok but not out of murk. I hear they are both dangerous for pregnancy, what am i going to do????? When I found out I was pregnant I went through couple days of crying non stop. Anyone have an episodes they would like to share about being pregnant and bipolar? And any med advice? I had an episode when I was pregnant with my now 5 year old daughter, not knowing it was a bipolar episode they put me on zoloft. I made it through the pregnancy. Dont know what to do. I know as harsh as it sounds as of now I dont want this baby, but dont know if I could do abortion either.Please Advice?

06/06/2010 07:38 AM
shaz66
shaz66  

I was allowed no meds by my dr. during pregnancy(maybe a liability issue). I have been watching a show called adoption stories, and I am so excited about the options now available. What is most exciting is an open adoption. You can actually pick the parents. Look at portfolios, meet them in person, some even stick with you throughout the pregnancy. After the child is born you can have as much contact as you and the parents agree to. I have even seen the birth parents visiting. Honestly it's all new. You and the adoptive parents make the rules. They also help you out if you need it financially.

On the teen pregnancy page there are people wanting to adopt posting on there. But I would prefer to go through a reputable adoption service. Have background checks and all that.

I just wanted to let you know about this alternative, It wasn't available when I was in a similar situation, or if it was I knew nothing about it. I would also call all the adoption centers in my area, before I made a choice. See who is the most helpful during the time of your pregnancy. I also thing it's important to share all your and the fathers medical information.

Sorry if this is not the type of help you wanted. I was just so amazed at how far adoption has come.

06/06/2010 07:59 AM
Coffeeho

You should really discuss medications with your doctor. Some have less risks but less effect, but they're alot better than the risks of some medications. I'm currently on Depakote and was told to immediately stop if I even thought I was pregnant because it's a high risk med. You and your doctor need to go over what would work best for you for controlling your particular issues. Like some people are more manic, some more depressive, etc..

As for options.. That's a personal choice. You can go to clinics and adoption agencies and they'll go over all the information, tell you what your options are, what to expect, how to handle things, and some even offer specific counseling. I'm pretty sure that you'll have to disclose that you're bipolar and your medications for adoptions, whether closed or open. In the end it depends on what you feel is right and what you feel you can handle. Depending on how far along you are, you do have some time to think about what you want to do in the end. The meds stuff, though, you need to talk to a doctor as soon as possible.

06/06/2010 09:20 AM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I took a low dosage of Klonopin (1/2 tab of a .05mg) for my 2nd pregnancy and i stayed on my anti-depressant (50 mgs Clonipramine or Anafranil, these are older anti-deps, from tricylic family meds). I also found a therapist so that i was able to deal with any extra stresses that came along. I was taken off Lithium completely (some women need to take Lithium during prenancy b/c its a necessity for them) i was only on it for 1 1/2 yrs.

Wishing you all the best, i hope you'll be able to handle this, you must tell your doctors (pregnancy doc & your pdoc) about whether or not you will need meds they are the professionals and will be able to weigh the pros & cons of your situation.

Keep posting, glad you are b/c you are not alone, alot of us have gone thru pregnancies and we can really relate. Send me a pm anytime, i'm usually around.

06/06/2010 09:50 AM
dogdown51
dogdown51  

I know I had a patient who was taking Celexa and TB medicines and she had a beautiful healthy baby. Please discuss it with your pdoc and any other doc u r seeing. You have the ultimate decision on what u feel is the right thing 4 u 2 do. Take care P.

06/06/2010 04:07 PM
dizzyb
dizzyb  
VIP Member

I had just taken an overdose of Diazepam (benzo family, like mild valium) and anti-histamines, landed up in an emergency psych ward, next day I found out I was pregnant. I didn't know I had BP, was being treated for depression and anxiety. I had to come off anti-dep as well as all other meds, but due to the severity of my condition was allowed a small dose of the anti-anxiety. At 22 weeks they tested to see if the OD had affected my daughter and all was normal. She was born perfectly fine, just had what they call "sleepy baby syndrome" from the diazepam. She went onto an incubator and by the next morning was fine. Her father was also an alcoholic (in the closet) and I discovered was using coke as well ... clearly this was not a planned pregnancy at all. He has never seen his daughter and I'm quite happy with the way it is. It was an abusive relationship and in effect he landed me up taking the OD. everyone said that I was an unfit mother and should have an abortion. But in my heart I knew I would be fine. My daughter saved my life, if it weren't for her I doubt very much that I'd be where I am today. She is 5 now and the light of my life. I am a single mom and no, it's not easy, but I have no regrets.

I share this with you to give you another perspective. Only you know what is right for you and your emotional and mental well being. I wish you strength and clarity of thought during this hard time. Take care and good luck. Bridget Smile

06/08/2010 12:26 AM
TenaceFemme
TenaceFemme  

First of all it certainly makes me angry to here the option of adoption, If i could make it through the pregnancy without meds, why wouldnt I keep and take care of my daughter or son????? Second of all I had my first baby through an antideppressant Zoloft. without knowing i was bipolar. The thing is, is that im only about 7 weeks along and suicidle due to the hormones. Reading all this about not being able to be a real regular women makes me even more suicidle. Do the hormones level out a bit? The situation is also tough becuase like dizzyb said the father is an alcoholic and who knows what else, after he found out i was pregnant he kicked me to the curb. I came to california to visit my family also and the enviromental change couldnt help either i suppose. I have a five year old daughter at home and her dad is still suprisingly ready to give yet another chance knowing im pregnant with some @#$%^&& 's baby.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved