MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/10/2010 10:10 AM

Bipolar discrimination

HelpEr82
HelpEr82  

i am so sick of people discriminating me because i have bipolar disorder. it is so unfair. i suggest that me and anyone else who gets discriminated against at work or other agency, to file a law suit!

its unbelieveable how they get away with this kinda stuff.

thoughts? suggestions?

05/10/2010 10:26 AM
santos63
santos63  

They can't legally discriminate, but I find they will look for other reasons, even if they are trumped up, to get rid of you.

05/10/2010 10:32 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Yes, it's a shame. The stigma needs to be put to rest. I personally don't care what people think of me, so I just brush it off. The majority of bipolar people though don't want anyone to know. You can file a discrimination suit at work if you are being discriminated. That's up there with race and sex discrimination. I hope you feel better and this has helped you at least a little bit. Hugs

05/10/2010 10:35 AM
marisaH
marisaHPosts: 357

I agree!! I was recently declined for life insurance b/c of my diagnosis. I was SO pissed!!! There's not much I can do about it tho, insurance companies can choose who they want to insure and it's not considered discrimination.

05/10/2010 01:37 PM
flyingncrashing
flyingncrashing  

I was also denied life and health coverage b/c of my bipolar. Marisa is right, they get to choose and we can do nothing about it. It is time for the stigma to go away. I've had two friends actually come out and tell me that they couldn't be my friend any more b/c of my illness. No kidding! I have found that it's better not to tell anyone any more and it's sad b/c I feel like I'm dancing for people when I don't feel good just so they will accept me. I've been fired from two jobs b/c of my symptoms but I never disclosed my diagnoses b/c of possible repercussions. I just walked away and never looked back. Some people just don't get that we are human first and our disease is biological as well as the mental health aspect. I don't have time for them any more.

05/11/2010 08:49 AM
pinnacle4

Ditto. I work in the social work field and there is more stigma and discrimination here it seems than anywhere else. Sad what it says about our society.

05/11/2010 11:09 AM
phantomgirl

Yeah, I've been in the unfortunate position to have been told that I couldn't go on a very important trip that I needed to go on for a new function I was supposed to handling in the company, it was a live site visit of another country who was already up and running, and we would sit and spend time with them and see how they're doing.

The lady in charge at the other country said I couldn't go because I'm Bipolar (and wait for this part) she has a friend that's Bipolar, and she doesn't do well when she's out of her comfort zone, so she doesn't think it will be good for me.

I decided fuck her, this decision is up to me and my doctor, she's no expert because she has one friend with the same illness as me - besides every case is different.

I ended up in HR's office, highly upset, asking how she knew in the first place, I thought that was confidential?? I was politely informed that the decision isn't only up to her, management in our office has discussed it as well, and because of all the work days I've missed because of my illness, I am not "reliable" and "stable" enough to handle the pressure of being the superuser.

I would like to add that at this point I had already completed all my training, and THIS is the time they decide to realise this???

A very good friend of mine happened to be a manager at the time, and she and the guy who gave me training believed in me enough to fight for me. I ended up going, we had a ball and it was one of the best trips of my life. Much to my own surprise it had zero effect on me.

It gave my self-conscience surrounding my Bipolar a huge hit, though. I'm once again feeling ashamed of it, and feeling like it's something I should hide, lest I be judged or exiled for it. On the other hand I feel like I should stand tall and fight no matter how bad I'm feeling to proof them wrong, and I also feel deep in my heart that that's wrong and unhealthy for me.

05/11/2010 11:28 AM
ApRiLGeTsAngry77

I am sick of people making fun of bipolar. I met a guy and he confided in me that he and his wife were divorcing. He said she left him and I asked why and he said because she was bipolar!! What does that have to do with it? It was like I was suppose to understand her leaving him just because she was bipolar. I never told him I was diagnosed bipolar but I bet he guessed either I was or someone close to me was after the lecture I gave him after that statement!

05/11/2010 11:34 AM
phantomgirl

There was this time when people (friends...) kept asking me "don't you think that one is bipolar..." et cetera. I got so mad! I kept telling them that first off, that's not a lable I wish on anyone, and secondly - only a doctor can make that diagnosis!!

Yes, there have been times when I've "felt" something when I meet someone who's Bipolar without knowing it. But that's none of their business, and certainly not a fool-proof gauge! To them it's just a joke - if someone is moody and slightly unpredictable they "must be Bipolar". They have no idea what we really go through.

05/11/2010 12:07 PM
cptblack
cptblack  
VIP Member

What perople can't or refuse to understand scares them. So they try to make light of it to mask they're fear. Next time just say "Over 10 MILLION people in the U. S. each year are diagnosed as Bipolar. What are the odds for them...OR YOU?"

Might make them realize you are not a freak but part of a growing medical problem.

I hand out the little pamplets they have at the clinic that explains what Bipolar Disorder is to the people I value highly in my life. I figure either they read it and realize I am not contagious or dangerous, or they throw it away and shun me.

Either way I end up with the ones truely worth keeping.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved