MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/29/2010 05:27 PM

Bipolar or laziness

pinnacle4

Just got off the phone w/my mom talking about how I was having difficulty managing my life - getting bills paid, things put away . . . and it got me thinking is this a symptom of bipolar or just plain laziness. Sometimes I think that I might be using my "label" to cover my just not wanting to do stuff. Have you ever encountered this? B

04/29/2010 05:43 PM
bpboutwell
bpboutwell  

I usually blame my laziness on the depression and the forgetfulness on the bipolar in general because there is a possible connection with short term memory loss and bipolar (meds too). I've been having my soon to be ex-wife telling me for a while now that I need to get my act together. One reason we are getting a divorce. Anyway, I understand where you are coming from. But yeah, there does come a time when you can't always blame it on your "label".

04/29/2010 05:55 PM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have this problem, especially when I'm not properly medicated.

04/29/2010 06:01 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I have this problem like everyday!! I can be on the computer for hours, I see the mess, I hate the mess, I get up and go pee, I get something to eat, drink, then I go back to the computer. I think about getting up and doing some cleaning, but I just don't have the motivation. Sometimes I think that I'm just lazy, but there is a lot of times that I think it's the bipolar. It could be both???? I'll have to see what everyone else comes up with!! Hugs

04/29/2010 06:22 PM
puzzlinZin
puzzlinZin  

I wrestle with this debate constantly. Some days work seems so hard. At times i cant convince myself to do a thing. There are times i succeed in trying but quickly abandon the task or wonder what the fuss was about. Somedays-not at all often enough-im perfectly fine and productive. But with bills theres always the problem of my brain-cant always concentrate. I think depression is some of. The other parts might be laziness and just habit.

04/29/2010 06:23 PM
puzzlinZin
puzzlinZin  

I wrestle with this debate constantly. Some days work seems so hard. At times i cant convince myself to do a thing. There are times i succeed in trying but quickly abandon the task or wonder what the fuss was about. Somedays-not at all often enough-im perfectly fine and productive. But with bills theres always the problem of my brain-cant always concentrate. I think depression is some of. The other parts might be laziness and just habit.

04/29/2010 06:36 PM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

To elaborate. Energy is one of the things that oscillate in the bipolar curve. It's mood, thought and energy (motivation). So you can be fine emotionally and thinking wise, but can't make yourself do anything. The article that I know of that speaks of this is about Rapid Cycling on the following website. www.psycheducation.org

I struggle terribly with this everyday. It's slowly getting better, but very slowly. I don't know how to help it other than meds and social rythym therapy. Exercise too. Which is hard when you are unmotivated.

Post edited by: YorkieLove, at: 04/29/2010 06:36 PM

04/29/2010 07:33 PM
anniebrown
anniebrown  

I don't know how i feel about lazy v bipolar. I'm new enough to the label that I don't blame anything on it. I blame myself constantly. I'm staring at a HUGE mess right now but just can't think of any reason to fix it. And that leads into it becoming an overwhelming mess that I don't know how clean. I do like the thought that it might not be me being so lazy, that my label could have something to do with it. Right now, I'm working at one day at a time. And very fortunatley I have a husband who is very understanding and have kids that are old enough to pick up some of the slack. So I'll just wait for that day that I know will come, the I HAVE to clean day, and hope that it shows up soon!Wassat

04/29/2010 08:35 PM
pinnacle4

I greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatly appreciate your feedback and making me feel that I'm not alone in these thoughts. Once I get started on things, I'm okay. It's just taking that first step. B

04/29/2010 08:44 PM
tniks33

I can understand where you are coming from, I am the same way. And also to agree with someone else in here, my wife is constantly wondering if I am using the label as a crutch when I don't feel like doing something. Somedays I feel like I just can't and ill just skate through the day (or that's how it seems anyways). And other days i will be a whirlwind cleaning like a madman. Hence the reason I need to be more balanced in life.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved