MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/23/2010 05:26 PM

Is it that noticeable?

initb2009

Everyday I am told that I am weird because one day I am extremely quiet, the next day I am very hyper (I can be very loud,talk about strange things, and be very offensive when I'm manic), and the next day I'm either extremely pissed or depressed but I don't show it. I do not show my emotions but people still call me "weird". The only thing they ever notice is my hyper activity that is shown with loud,strange, or offensive behavior. Can someone please give me some tips on how I can control my mania so I don't either stick out like a sour thumb or annoy/offend everyone around me?

04/23/2010 06:03 PM
cptblack
cptblack  
VIP Member

Have you seen a P-Doc and are you on medications? Both of these can help. If you are already following these courses of action you might ask your Doc about a med change or adjustment to bring the manic phases under better control.

initB, life can be better, if only to the point where you can live with yourself day to day. Weird? I may be weird but hey the guys who crawl up water towers with rifles were always noted as "Normal" and quiet by neighbors.

Keep coming here and we will talk things through and see if we can help with moral support and ideas.

04/23/2010 06:04 PM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

When i'm hypomanic i can be a lot of fun but sometimes i get on my families' nerves...i know that happens when my kids yell at me to be quiet, my husband tells me to settle down...then i take a Klonopin (anti-anxiety med). I too can get loud, noisy and rowdy. My pdoc just increased my Lithium dosage b/c i was getting hypomanic too often and my moods were swinging daily. It has helped a bit, i still have highs but i feel they are more manageable.

You may want to contact your pdoc to let him know exactly what you just posted, maybe your meds need tweaking.

04/23/2010 08:53 PM
jennywren
jennywrenPosts: 3167

Hey Dit, try a tdoc. The tdoc can be very helpful

Jennywren

04/23/2010 09:22 PM
harobed
harobed  

Whenever someone comments on my moods/rapid speech, etc., then I know it IS noticable. I take my meds religiously and try really hard to "stay normal" when around others.

H.

04/27/2010 12:30 PM
initb2009

The thing is that I'm unmedicated. I was on abilify 10 MG and Zoloft 100 MG but that raised my bloos pressure too high so I was taken off it.

04/27/2010 07:32 PM
BeMyMuse
BeMyMuse  

When I am manic or mad & tend to try to do 'safe' things to blow off the steam from them. Like..... I can sit & write until my fingertips are raw when I'm manic. Tap your foot & fidget, maybe listen to music loud (on earphones!). All safe things that won't effect anyone else.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved