MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/21/2010 05:38 AM

Unsupportive husband

bee1313
bee1313  

Well, for a few days I've had suicidal ideations (sp?) and I told my mom and my husband. I asked my husband to lock up my sleeping pills because that is what I was thinking of using and he got all mad. He told me I should use a gun cause it's faster and more accurate. He said it was stupid and that I could control my mind and my thoughts.

I feel like crap because I can't even talk to my husband, the one who is supposed to be there no matter what. Have I worn him down? Is he at his last straw? Is he done with me? Should I just not tell him anything anymore?

Sad

04/21/2010 07:04 AM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I wonder why your husband reacted to you that way? You mentioned maybe he's worn down or at his last straw or is he done with you? When i read your post i immediatley thought that there must be a communication break-down in your relationship. Yes, i believe your husband should always be there to support you but it sounds like right now your husband isen't.

There were times in my marriage that i wanted marriage councilling and we went and it helped our communication so much, and we are that much stronger and my husband is always there for me. You may want to consider marriage councilling, you need support and not further negativity. Maybe he had a bad day, or really doesn't believe you are serious.

I wish you all the best, glad you are posting.

04/21/2010 07:23 AM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I agree with Dit that marital counseling might be helpful. Also, if he has never learned anything about bipolar disorder, he may not understand that you really cannot control what you think at times. Ask him to go to a pdoc appointment with you, or to your therapist if you see one. Go to the nih.gov site or mayoclinic.com and print off the symptoms of bipolar disorder for him to read. "Bipolar for Dummies" is a good basic book about BP that is easy to read that perhaps he would at least read some of.

I am sorry he responded to you that way. You need the support right now. Find it elsewhere for now. You said you told your mother, too. Hopefully, she can offer some support for you right now. Call your pdoc and tell him/her what has happened and see if a med change is needed. If you have recently started a new med, that might be the source of your thoughts as sometimes the very meds that are to help us actually can cause suicidal thoughts.

Keep posting here and let us support you. BUT if these thoughts persist and get urgent, you really need to go to the hospital ER. There are also hotlines you can call and talk with people for extra support. They provide a listening ear and sometimes that is all that is needed. But again, if the thought of harming yourself gets urgent, please go to the nearest ER for help.

04/21/2010 06:08 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Counseling and a book about bipolar to give to your husband to research if he will. It will help him to better understand the illness. Take care!! Joy

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved