MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/08/2010 11:19 AM

Smoking and Wellbutrin

buzzingmind
buzzingmind  

Over the past year I went from smoking 6 cigarettes a year (I know not alot) to smoking 1/2 pack per day. I hated it but it really calmed my nerves. Pdoc prescribes Wellbutrin and I start taking it. A week later at work I realized that I hadn't had a cigarette all day. No craving at all. That was last Thursday. A week today, no smoking, no craving. So on Tuesday when I went to my pdoc appt, Doc tells me that Wellbutrin is basically Zyban! So not only will it fix my mood but got me to quit smoking! 2-4-1 bonus drug! Whoohoo! Anyone else on Wellbutrin have the same result?

04/08/2010 12:06 PM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

My husbands' family doc prescribed him Wellbutrin for depression and to help stop smoking. He did eventually stop. I'm glad it works for you.

01/08/2012 11:32 AM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Yes, before Zyban was even a gleam in the pharmaceutical makers' eye, Wellbutrin was well known for it's effect of dramatically reducing nicotine cravings. I used Wellbutrin many years ago to quit smoking with great success.

01/08/2012 11:37 AM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Congrats to you. I went on Wellbrutin to stop smoking and i got a rash all over my body. I did notice i didn't crave a cigarette as much but this rash hit me only a week afer being on it. Wellbrutin also gave me a lot of energy, i would like to try this med again. I wish you continued luck.

01/08/2012 12:10 PM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi Dit. Problem is I didn't stay on Wellbutrin and I didn't stay quit!! LOL

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that there is a new, purer form of Wellbutrin out called Aplenzin which I am on. I like it much better than Wellbutrin in terms of it's antidepressant properties. It also cuts my nicotine cravings. Problem is, I still smoke some anyways...

01/08/2012 01:15 PM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I had to go off wellbutrin bc it was too stimulating for me and I am a pack and a half day smoker. Didn't help me unfortunetly. Glad it is helping you though. That's great!

01/08/2012 03:02 PM
Wyndrake
Wyndrake  

I was on Wellbutrin for awhile at a time when I was a smoker, and I mysteriously just stopped wanting cigarettes. I had quit smoking before, but this was different - I still went outside with the smokers at break time, I just didn't want to smoke anymore, no cravings, no challenge to quit, just no desire to smoke at all. And although it wound up making me go a little manic and I had to switch, it worked well as an antidepressant I think.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved