MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/04/2010 08:38 AM

Foods and Mood Swings

PopTartsAreGood
PopTartsAreGood  

So I keep reading some posts saying that eating the right foods can vastly improve mood swings. I asked my therapist about that. If one eats certain foods and what not if it could really help with mood swings. She looked at me weird and said it was not true. She said that it is good to eat healthy, but they don't necessarily help with mood swings. I was wondering what you all think..

HAPPY EASTER!!! :]

04/04/2010 08:56 AM
cptblack
cptblack  
VIP Member

Pig out on chocolate today and test the theory. Smile Chocolate seems to sooth the raging beast in some and a little wine can make a romantic mood better. Other than that I'm in the dark.

04/04/2010 09:01 AM
santos63
santos63  

I don't know of any foods that can greatly affect mood swings. Just eat a healthy diet so you don't gain, and maybe possibly lose weight. Now THAT would make most of us a little happier. It is a nice thought, though. Happy Easter.

04/04/2010 09:37 AM
sgtmcc
sgtmcc  

I know potato chips or fries from McDonalds (for people who like potatoes with their salt) usually help me. Not sure if its the salt or just psychological, although a lot of salt is bad so its a crap shoot

04/04/2010 10:29 AM
jasonguyyeah
jasonguyyeahPosts: 290

My guess would be that, eating foods high in fat...etc. The body will reward the brain with a release of dopamine. But, I think the amount of food one would have to consume vs. dopamine release isn't practical. Chocolate has theobromine and phenethylamine, which (may suggest)increase serotonin levels.

04/04/2010 11:39 AM
qualquun
qualquunPosts: 253

deficiencies of many types of vitamins can cause depression, but not necessarily mood swings. making sure you're eating enough fruits, vegetables, whole grains, milk and milk products, and lean meat will help get you out of deficiency-related depression, but it probably will not help with moods that have nothing to do with the deficiency. if you're not eating, that can also cause depression, as well as shots of euphoria that can be misunderstood as hypomania (experience...) also, making sure you're eat enough food will help with irritability, which people with bipolar are especially susceptible to.

so overall, it's not going to make your bipolar any better. but making sure you are eating enough of the right things will give you an extra push in the direction of feeling good, and help ensure that your symptoms are not from vitamin deficiencies or from a lack of kcalories.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved