MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/07/2008 06:24 PM

What to expect

toshadarling

I thought this needed its own post:

I was wondering what to expect at our first visit to the pdoc.

The doc wants me there too for the first visit is that normal?

Also how should I expect Mike to be?

Should I bring anything with me?

I thought maybe my journal I have been writing in it since Mike has been acting different/Our reg doc suggested this so for 2 weeks I have done this.

I am nervous and I want to be there for Mike so I want to get all of my worries out here and not with him. I don't want to overwhelm him

Thanks again

Tosha

08/07/2008 06:34 PM
bejeweled
bejeweled  

hi tosha. I think it is normal that you would be there on the first visit. They have to get a complete history and an idea about behaviors and moods. Our pdoc insisted on speaking to me several times before meeting with my g/f. There are things that she does, that she doesn't realize she does or even more scary that she might fail to mention because to her it is normal....

On her first visit he spent about 1 1/2 with her. He did confirm her diagnosis from before. Most pdocs will want to ask all their own questions and diagnosis the patient themselves rather then go along with what another doctor has said. He then ordered a whole bunch of tests and bloodwork to rule out anything other then mental illness as the cause of the problem. He did not start her one medication which surprised me, others had been quick to do that. He wants all the results back before he prescribes anything....

08/07/2008 06:40 PM
toshadarling

Oh my goodness are you serious I hope to the good lord that the doc puts in on something!!

Because as it stands he is either a walking nightmare here in the home without drugs or he is sleeping after 30 minutes of klonopin.

Is there another drug like klonopin that would do the trick without making him sleepy

kind of like the old benadryl made kids sleepy so they came up with alegrga.

I don't know gosh I am so confused I guess I will just have to wait and see

Thanks again

Tosha

08/07/2008 06:57 PM
bejeweled
bejeweled  

I know that there is so much hope in that first visit that everything will be taken care of....but it just doesn't work that way and shouldn't if you think about it. I know they are willing to treat dangerous symptoms right away like psychosis. But they have to be sure of the diagnosis. In fact, if they put someone on the wrong meds it can get far worse. So better to be safe then sorry. And these types of medications can't just be stopped. They take a long time to work, some even up to 6 weeks just to get to get up to a theraputic dose. They effect the chemicals in the brain - it is not something that any pdoc worth his salt takes lightly. I know in my g/f's case that just to stop one med and start a new one it was strongly suggested she be admitted to the hospital. She refused and ended up psychotic. It is dangerous stuff...

08/07/2008 07:12 PM
toshadarling

Sigh... I am really going to try because he is worth it. I just hope that the doctor is a good one and is at least willing to give me something when he gets mad..

Thanks

Tosha

08/07/2008 08:09 PM
bejeweled
bejeweled  

LOL Give YOU something when HE gets mad?? LOL I am sure you didn't mean it like that but that is actually a great idea!! If you do get the pdoc to get you something ohhh I want some too!! Demerol perhaps?? That would make my g/f's anger seem less angry. I'd be blissfully unaware. LMAO Too funny.

08/07/2008 08:15 PM
KrissyH
KrissyH  

sorry to say, but Klonopin is a really mild drug used for treating anxiety and panic....mild anxiety and panic.....

08/07/2008 08:18 PM
toshadarling

haha thanks I didnt relize I wrote it that way but damn if that ain't a good idea

thanks

Tosha Laughing

08/07/2008 08:20 PM
toshadarling

Hey there krissy yeah I know its a mild pill but it knocks him out cold so I am happy about that at least for now because I don't have to deal with all of the ups and downs.

I have to learn about all of this too before I can handle all of his moods with out meds regardless if its mild or not

Thanks

Tosha

08/07/2008 08:22 PM
KrissyH
KrissyH  

I hear ya....I guess im just on so many meds at this point that they all seem "MILD" to me.....good luck to ya

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved