MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/22/2010 01:30 AM

MIndfulness - Has Anyone Tried it? How was it?

jennywren
jennywrenPosts: 3165

Hello to all,

My pdoc for some reason reakons I should do the eight week Mindfulness course.

This sort of thing I do not have a lot of faith in. But I have ordered a couple of books about it from Amazon and the first one arrived to-day.

Would be interested in your experiences or knowledge about it.

Tar,

JennyWren

03/22/2010 02:29 AM
ApRiLGeTsAngry77

I try to practice mindfulness daily by doing 5 minutes exercises. I think it helps my mood because I am practicing staying in the present and not in the past or future. I have benefited from it and recommend it to anyone who is dealing with overwhelming emotions or depression. Good luck and let us now how it goes for you!

03/22/2010 05:50 AM
sgtmcc
sgtmcc  

As a Buddhist, Mindfulness is a core belief. While I do struggle with it I do try to maintain mindfulness.You can find plenty of Buddhism websites covering mindfulness or several books by Tich Nhat Hanh (thats a lot of h's) have helped me to really touch mindfulness. Meditating does help me feel at peace with myself. The only drawback is you have to make yourself do it which is not always easy if in a depressed or manic state. Funny thing is I became a Buddhist during my last manic state.

03/22/2010 06:37 AM
debiski
debiski  
VIP Member

I have several audio books by Jon Kabat-Zinn. He is great to listen to because his voice is slow, low and calming.

Mindfulness is something I wish I could master. I would like to hang a sign in front of my face that says "stay in the now". I really could benefit from it and I need it.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved