MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/15/2010 06:41 PM

Why do We Want To Be Alone?

jennywren
jennywrenPosts: 3195

I relise that there in a topic re wanting to be alone. But this one is asking why.

I have noticed that those with Bipolar Disorder say that they need time alone. And that includes me! Have alwaYS been like that. The last thing I have ever wanted to attend is noisy parties.

So why do we need time alone more than the average bod? To get ourselfs acts back in order?

JennyWren

03/15/2010 06:45 PM
Van

Me too, ever since I was diagnosed, I have been much more to myself than before.

03/15/2010 06:47 PM
Van

I was always an extovert before.

03/15/2010 06:49 PM
Van

I believe that that the meds that we take slow us down to the point of not wanting to be around large crowds, and that we must make adjustments as to when we can allow a group of people to enter our worlds.

03/15/2010 06:56 PM
Van

I believe that that the meds that we take slow us down to the point of not wanting to be around large crowds, and that we must make adjustments as to when we can allow a group of people to enter our worlds. I also believe that we must choose careful friends that will support us.I have three small support groups that accept me for who I am. I do well in a very small group of people who I know very well.

03/15/2010 06:59 PM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I just find having to be "on" exhausting. Besides, I have to worry about how my actions are affecting other people. If I upset them, then I would feel terrible. It's just altogether stressful for me. I feel overwhelmed after 30 minutes. It's much easier to be alone. Especially since I can come here now.

03/15/2010 07:01 PM
Van

Right. Thanks Lisa.

03/15/2010 07:04 PM
Van

With me being Bipolar 1 I tend to get a bit paranoid in crowds

03/15/2010 07:23 PM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Van & Yorkielove & jennywren...i can so relate. I used to be a social butterfly had tons of friends, but only in the last 3 yrs i've been isolating myself. I too when i go out and i'm with people, i get really exhausted and feel the need to go to my room and just be alone, i sometimes read, pray/meditate and yes i do need to get my battery re-charged.

Not sure why i've become like this, when i'm out with others i do enjoy myself and really love being around others (well most of the time) and i do mostly socialize well (if i'm down i don't socialize as much).

Not sure why its only been the last 3 yrs going out and having lots of friends its just not that way anymore. I keep myself more with my husband and kids and my siblings.

03/16/2010 01:50 AM
danzig

Easier to be alone then constantly dealing with what's wrong, why dont you cheer up/relax/calm down, why dont you go out for awhile you'll feel better. Easier then sitting there worrying any word/action said/done or not said/done is going to be seen as something else, upset someone or just not seem "right" in some way. The sheer exhaustion of it, of upsetting others is just an added stress factor but one that can be avoided. I've gone several days "locked" in my room, since rarely sleeping much myself coming down and getting something to eat after everyone else has gone to sleep.

Is it healthy or productive? I dunno but its better then the alternatives.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved