MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/01/2010 09:46 PM

fighting depression

mariel24h
mariel24hPosts: 1136

Hello friends,

I have been feeling a bit depressed these past four days. And I am trying to fight it. I am seeing my therapist two times this week. I don't want to rush to the psych doc for a med change just yet. I want to see if I can pull myself out with therapy, exercise, and keeping busy.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fight depression (other than increasing meds)???

03/02/2010 03:10 AM
Casa222

exercise usually helps for me. Even a quick walk outside can do the trick. It just energizes you and can make you feel better.

03/02/2010 07:19 AM
Volante
Volante  

I'm going to have to agree that exercise will help you. I power walk 4 times a week for 2-3 miles a day and it helps me feel well.

03/02/2010 08:07 AM
stolenheart
stolenheart  

Water, exercise, more fiber instead of just "white" foods. I found that when I cut my fat intake too severely, it made me tired.

I don't know if this will help, but I'm glad to know there are ways to fight it for people with BPD...for a few reasons. lol.

03/02/2010 08:43 AM
ohfaithful

Hey Marie,

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. One thing that seems to help me lately is cleansing, I know I'm a broken record, but try it for a few days and see how you feel. Also maybe keep a journal of what you are eating and see if there is something new that you've introduced that may be causing it.

You can start simply by drinking fresh lemon juice three times a day 30 minutes before meals. Just squeeze a lemon in a class of hot water and drink. It helps to alleviate toxins that may be causing the problem.

Also, I agree with everyone else, those things can help as well. The problem is with my depression is that I have to really force myself to do those things, some days I'm successful and others I'm not. One thing that I do for food is make a bunch at one time, and eat the same thing over and over. It may be boring, but at least you have good food to grab as opposed to convient foods that make things worse, at least for me.

Faith Smile

Post edited by: ohfaithful, at: 03/02/2010 08:44 AM

03/02/2010 10:41 AM
merryatl
merryatl  

keeping busy helps me, a lot!!! so does spending quality time with my loved ones.

03/02/2010 11:15 AM
Lrose35
Lrose35  

I am supposed to exercise but with the weather the way it has been I cant count on the sidewalks being cleared. And I am too lazy to drive to the mall with all the people and walk. That would drive me batty. But they have given you some great idea's above. I just hope your depression goes away soon!

03/02/2010 12:36 PM
Tom83404
Tom83404  

All good suggestions. You can also go rent a good funny movie, toilet paper your parents house, jump in a puddle, stare at the back of a crowded elevator, talk in gibberish next time you get groceries, Wear a "i'm heavily medicated for your safety" t-shirt to church, try to teach your dog yo walk backwards, Goto breakfest at IHOP and ask with a serious look on your face if the serve pancakes there, go through the drive thru at mcdonalds backwards, or my personal favorite...

...run through the mall with a friend screaming that zombies are chasing you.

Hope that helps....(your smiling, see...not so depressed now are we?)

03/02/2010 04:07 PM
santos63
santos63  

Do you have a dog-to walk? It kind of forces you to get outside if, even for a short bit. Just walk the length of your street and back. It's minimal, but every little bit helps. If things get too bad call your pdoc immediately. Remember, it takes most antidepressants 2-4 weeks to take effect.

03/02/2010 07:46 PM
mimmy
mimmy  

all good suggestions. I also wanted to add that if you can, try going somwhere where there are some of people. Not where they are generally going to be angry(like walmart..don't know why that is, but I digress..)such as the library. maybe church(if that is you're thing) or a goodwill store. I've never been to a goodwill where the cashiers or the shoppers are upset. kinda gets you out of the isolation mode. isolation begets more depression. and if you can't do that right now..you can make it a goal for later. you can start thinking about how you'd greet people who you'd see around these types of places. I joined a few clubs doing this and it has made a big difference in my life. I'm not saying I'll be in these clubs for the rest of my life, but that they are very satisfying to make friends and shorten periods of deperssion. but by all means monitor yourself and if you need meds, get with you doc and see what ya'll can do together.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved