MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/21/2010 12:16 PM

Low Lithium Levels

butterfly09576
butterfly09576  

My pdoc called the other day. Told me my lithium level cam back low, but wouldnt tell me what it was. Just asked if i felt okay and at that time i did feel okay. That was thursday, i believe. Now today, i am feel depressed, fighting urges to hurt myself. So i wandered if anyone knew some syptoms of low lithium levels. I don't know if i am just having a bad day or starting to feel the low levels. I really don't want to increase my lithium to 1200mg. Sad

02/22/2010 11:47 AM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I don't know what symptoms of low Lithium levels feel like but keep an eye how long you have this depressed feeling, keep your pdoc informed if this persists.

02/28/2011 07:51 PM
Nik123

I think it depends, for me when my lithium is low is usually when I go manic. I dont genereally have depressed episodes or anything though. I believe im more unipolar manic than anything and the lithium stabalizes that for me. Might be best to check with the doc just for piece of mind.

02/28/2011 09:44 PM
mariel24h
mariel24hPosts: 1135

I don't understand how Lithium works...BUT I do hope you can work it out with your pdoc and feel better real soon!!!

03/01/2011 10:30 AM
TeriNY

I don't know the symptoms of low lithium levels either but hope you and your pdoc are able to figure all this out together!

03/01/2011 11:52 AM
Wyndrake
Wyndrake  

Once I had low lithium levels and I had been feeling very confused and "out of it". Therefore I was forgetting to take it when I was supposed to, and wound up skipping doses on accident...so when it was low, I was a little bit in a mixed episode, sort of restless and agitated but easy to make me cry and I didn't want to do anything...

07/10/2011 05:53 PM
Dior
Dior  

I must agree with Nik123

Advice given to me by my Doctor was that the Lithium keeps your mood mostly in balance.. kinda like rowing a boat on a wavy stretch of sea as opposed to surfing it up and down 10m swells.

I quiet often get blood samples taken and tested.. about every 3- 4 months.

This is to ensure that eh lithium level is in the sweet spot and not too rich (toxic) or too weak (useless)

So if your low on lithium you are more susceptible to Manic nature (In my opinion/experience)

Which is kinda nice every now and then.. because I love being manic... but not for too long Grin

Low lithium for me seems to turn allot on being very very regular with my pills... seriously if I am out by a few hours it makes a difference.

Although apparently the new drugs can work well at a slightly less rich strength.

I have noticed I loose weight when the lithium is low...which is something I like too.

I find when I am manic I am quiet demanding of my friends to play the games I want to play... so lucky for me they tell me when I am being a whiney demanding brat.. and that makes me check myself.

So my advice is.. if your low on lithium... make sure your good friends are close or you see them regularly and tell them exactly what yur up to... before you by a new sofa or a TV or something.

Post edited by: Dior, at: 07/10/2011 05:55 PM

07/10/2011 09:53 PM
bagofcandy
bagofcandyPosts: 1259

Would changing the way you eat (salts) or exercise have an effect? Maybe if you've made lifestyle changes lately they can affect your lithium levels? I'm not sure, but I seem to remember my pdoc saying something about that when I first started taking it.

In any case, hope things get figured out quickly.

07/31/2011 02:36 PM
Dior
Dior  

Exercise, diet,sleep and the dreaded life changes are not a Lithium cure.

You see Lithium is a highly toxic elemant and it realy doesn't belong in our bodies .. unlike substances like salt which are also a highly toxic chemical which we need in our body.

This toxicity is important becasue if I get my Lithium wrong (atually my doctor gets this wrong ... unless I get my blood test at the wrong time of day) I will end up with a toxic level of 0.8 or higher..but I want 0.6. Me changing a dosage from 4 capsues to 5 capsule a day has bumped me from 0.54 to over 0.64. Which is spot on.

Exercise, good diet and the other stuff... well I would find that difficult to achieve if I was well (perfect) let alone on a balanced dosage regime.

Doesn't mean it isn't possible... but I really do struggle with the encouragment and tenacity to do that.. even though I live in one of the most pristine sporty orentated outdoor regions in my country... and all I have a spite for those show offs in thier lycra shorts and $9000 bycycles.Angry And all I would like to do is go for three hour walk without having the time to over contemplate my naval Sick

Really I think I need company with exercise... which I suspect is somthing we could all need when trying to exercise our blues away.. exept for swimming.

Is motor car racing exercise?

Wink

08/01/2011 12:06 PM
theGreyCatt
theGreyCattPosts: 275

I responded much better to low lithium levels, and when I got close to a dose that would put me in the "therapeutic range," I'd get depressed and feel sick and exhausted. My pdoc said that the numbers aren't always what's important, but how you feel. Although obviously you're not feeling so great. Just a thought, though.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved