MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/01/2007 02:46 PM

Bipolar Cognitive Distortions

jlh1956
jlh1956  

Oh my gosh! I think I may have just stumbled upon the jackpot. Someone on this site mentioned something that set off a major lightbulb in my head - "Cognitive Distortions". I looked it up on the internet and found a website that is really informative. It is www.mybipolarmood.net/cbt/htm For anyone who is wondering or has ever wondered why their loved one or themelves for that matter act the way they do there are some answers here. Apparantly there are 10 ways that the bipolar person distorts reality in their thinking.

There are many websites that deal with this concept, but I just had to let everyone know. I think this is big - it is for me anyway. Through therapy they are taught ways to gradually change their way of thinking so that their thinking and reasoning become more rational and normal. Meds and therapy together would be the way, I'm sure.

Post edited by: jlh1956, at: 11/01/2007 16:47

11/01/2007 07:41 PM
Anthroguy
AnthroguyPosts: 21

That's actually a big part of the Intensive Outpatient Program I was referred to after leaving the hospital. I've only been to one session so far, but from what my psychologist says it's been extremely effective in all of the cases she's seen.

11/02/2007 07:28 AM
damselndistress
damselndistressPosts: 16968
VIP Member

Oh yes I'm quite familiar with these. I was introduced to these in basic psychology I think. And then many years ago I read that book which is simply amazing. I've used that knowledge in my life and found it effective. Thanks for sharing that. I tried to find that disorder related to the obsessive compulsive and could not find it at all. I may never, if I do come across it I'll post it because I think it does relate specifically to some of what we deal with in the way our spouses or SO's view us at times. It hit home to me anyway.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved